The Student Room Group

Official Dentistry 2022 Applicants' Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Guys I need help. I’ll try and keep it as short as possible. I’m a yr13 wannabe dentist. I have done work experience in 2019 shadowing a NHS dentist. I have **** a level grades (they’re not achieved but based of my many mocks) think E,D and the occasional C or B in biology and chemistry. I also take art but I’m getting b/A’s in that. I am thinking of doing the autumn exams and getting a tutor in the summer. I have applied and got 4 rejections, which I expected. I also did bad in the UCAT. 2320 band 3 from what I can remember. But whatever I’m over that now. Any advice would be appreciated!!! Should I do the autumn exams??
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anon707ymous
Guys I need help. I’ll try and keep it as short as possible. I’m a yr13 wannabe dentist. I have done work experience in 2019 shadowing a NHS dentist. I have **** a level grades (they’re not achieved but based of my many mocks) think E,D and the occasional C or B in biology and chemistry. I also take art but I’m getting b/A’s in that. I am thinking of doing the autumn exams and getting a tutor in the summer. I have applied and got 4 rejections, which I expected. I also did bad in the UCAT. 2320 band 3 from what I can remember. But whatever I’m over that now. Any advice would be appreciated!!! Should I do the autumn exams??

I don’t really understand your question...if you want to apply for dentistry again, you’ll have to have the required grades. So resitting is an option, but be aware that some schools don’t accept resits.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I don’t really understand your question...if you want to apply for dentistry again, you’ll have to have the required grades. So resitting is an option, but be aware that some schools don’t accept resits.

Yes I am aware. But will the autumn 2021 exams count as resist? If not then I have a chance
Yes I am aware. But will the autumn 2021 exams count as resist? If not then I have a chance

Probably not. Either way, if you are predicted E, D, C and Bs, they’re not enough so you have to do the autumn exams.
Reply 224
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Probably not. Either way, if you are predicted E, D, C and Bs, they’re not enough so you have to do the autumn exams.

Yes do the resits cos you will require to have the minimum of AAA to get into dentistry.
Hi everyone ! I’m starting my A-levels in September and hope to study Dentistry at Uni. It would b nice to find other students who are interested in Dentistry as a degree and maybe we can chat :smile:
Original post by chimchihiro
Hi everyone ! I’m starting my A-levels in September and hope to study Dentistry at Uni. It would b nice to find other students who are interested in Dentistry as a degree and maybe we can chat :smile:

I’ve moved your thread into the existing 2022 applicants’ thread.
hi guys, im in year 13 and taking a gap year, due to the whole covid situation, im pretty sure my final level grades are A*AB with the B in chemistry, I know that the requirements are AAA, but does anyone know if universities will consider my application with those grades but strong ucat score and personal statement? thanks youuuuuu
Hi am I in the right group for Dentistry? I am new to this forum and would like to study Dentistry next year. I am currently in year 12 but have questions about UCAT. When should I start revising? I noticed a few people saying leave it for the 6 weeks before test? just need a bit of advise
Original post by Sunflower1234
Hi am I in the right group for Dentistry? I am new to this forum and would like to study Dentistry next year. I am currently in year 12 but have questions about UCAT. When should I start revising? I noticed a few people saying leave it for the 6 weeks before test? just need a bit of advise

Hi I think 6 weeks is a good amount of time but I would say 8 weeks because then u can have the 2 weeks of getting used to the question types etc - those 2 weeks could be light revision on something like the medic portal where they have free questions so you can see how the questions are. Then you can go into something like modify for the 6 weeks
Original post by Bobjones34565
Hi I think 6 weeks is a good amount of time but I would say 8 weeks because then u can have the 2 weeks of getting used to the question types etc - those 2 weeks could be light revision on something like the medic portal where they have free questions so you can see how the questions are. Then you can go into something like modify for the 6 weeks

Thank you so much for this useful advice

I also have a UCAT question- I wanted to sit the UCAT ideally nearer the beginning of August which would give me about 6/7 weeks as soon as my end-of-year exams end... if I'm not ready by then, can you cancel and rebook? And if I were to, I would do the UCAT after going on holiday... is that a bad thing to do?
Reply 232
Original post by emma31x12
I also have a UCAT question- I wanted to sit the UCAT ideally nearer the beginning of August which would give me about 6/7 weeks as soon as my end-of-year exams end... if I'm not ready by then, can you cancel and rebook? And if I were to, I would do the UCAT after going on holiday... is that a bad thing to do?

Yes you can cancel and rebook but from advice I have heard from dental students they all recommended just getting it done and over with during the summer, just so you can fully focus on your year 13 content from september and/or the BMAT if you are wanting to take it as well. But it is all down to you and what you feel comfortable with and know when you can perform to your very best :smile:

okay so im a 2nd year biomedical sciences and got *****y grades too. If i had the opportunity to do the exams in autumn, i would 100% do them as they dont count as resits. Call up your universities and see how clearing would work with the autumn exams as some uni accept late admissions. The problem is your UCAT so it may be worth while just taking a GAP year after the autumn exams so you can redo your UCAT. Hope that was of any help :smile:
Hi I'm applying to Dentistry this year!
I'm thinking of applying to Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and KCL.
My stats so far:
GCSE: 9999999887
Predicted A levels: A*A*A*
1 week NHS practice pre covid (y10)
6+ months volunteering with care home
4 week online experience (in total with different organizations - all free)
Head boy at high school
Head of med/dent soc

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE APPLYING, WE'VE GOT THIS :smile:
Original post by DarkShadow101
Hi I'm applying to Dentistry this year!
I'm thinking of applying to Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and KCL.
My stats so far:
GCSE: 9999999887
Predicted A levels: A*A*A*
1 week NHS practice pre covid (y10)
6+ months volunteering with care home
4 week online experience (in total with different organizations - all free)
Head boy at high school
Head of med/dent soc

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE APPLYING, WE'VE GOT THIS :smile:

Those are great stats well done! Let me know if you have any questions about the application process :smile:

Numra
Year 3 Dental Student
Medic Mind
Original post by sa03
Yes you can cancel and rebook but from advice I have heard from dental students they all recommended just getting it done and over with during the summer, just so you can fully focus on your year 13 content from september and/or the BMAT if you are wanting to take it as well. But it is all down to you and what you feel comfortable with and know when you can perform to your very best :smile:

Hi,
I completely agree! I booked mine for the end of summer so I had plenty of time to prepare but I definitely wanted to get it done with before I went back to sixthform :smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Numra
Year 3 Dental Student
Medic Mind

Hi,
As someone said in the chat, 6 weeks is the recommended time spent revising for the UCAT. Some people prefer more/less, if you get overwhelmed easily I suggest maybe 8 weeks but if you prefer intense revision 6 should fine. The more questions you do the better your results tend to be so try to do as many questions as possible in that time :smile:
Try not to focus too much on what other people are doing because there are people who might revise for months and end up getting the same score as someone who revised for a really short amount of time, it's really what works for you and how calm you remain on the day!

Numra
Year 3 Dental Student
Medic Mind
Which dental unis do not look at GCSEs as much?
Original post by emma31x12
Has anyone got in- person work experience...all that ive been able to get is virtual cos of covid.

I managed to get 2 days work experience towards the end of August but I have a feeling that's not going to be able to go ahead because of covid

Quick Reply

Latest