The Student Room Group

Wrong dates on my cv

Wrong date on a cv I’ve recently applied for a grad position at a big firm in the UK. I passed the assessments and was invited to a phone interview. I had that interview yesterday and I was invited to a video interview in 2 weeks. After looking over my cv, it appears that the dates for one of my past retail jobs 3 years ago is wrong. I was there for around 5/6 months and I have put that I wa s there for around a year. I’m now worried that if successful, they might call this employer and find out. I did not mean to do this obviously and I actually don’t how I done it. Should I be worried?
Reply 1
So get ahead of the game and send them a revised CV with the corrected dates and a quick apology. It's not like you're lying about ever having had the job, and it would be seen by the company to which you're applying, as your former employer would confirm the dates you were there.
Original post by Georgelizmera
Wrong date on a cv I’ve recently applied for a grad position at a big firm in the UK. I passed the assessments and was invited to a phone interview. I had that interview yesterday and I was invited to a video interview in 2 weeks. After looking over my cv, it appears that the dates for one of my past retail jobs 3 years ago is wrong. I was there for around 5/6 months and I have put that I wa s there for around a year. I’m now worried that if successful, they might call this employer and find out. I did not mean to do this obviously and I actually don’t how I done it. Should I be worried?

Hi there,

Getting dates mixed up on your CV is an easy mistake to make but it can be rectified and it is always best to be truthful on your CV.

You could send an email explaining you have spotted an error with a date on your CV, explain this and ask if they would like an updated version of your CV sent across, hopefully they will be understanding.

It is your decision as to what you do here but as you have rightly pointed out they could ask this employer for a reference and then the dates wouldn't match up. As you have passed the initial telephone interview they must feel that you have the right skills for the job and I wish you the best of luck with the video interview.

Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending