Resitting a gcse and starting uni late

Watch
.AnotherStudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I want to do psychology in University. I’m a student who is decently smart but my behaviour in class isnt the greatest. due to this i was given a 5 in science from teacher predicted grades, which i cannot appeal at all, when I needed a 6 to do biology in sixth form, which is needed to get into psychology at the University of Manchester (where i want to go). Instead of resitting my exam i decided to take a different course, which was drama. I plan on resitting my gcse after my a levels and then study for the a level biology, then hopefully pass and apply to university . However this will hold me back for uni for maybe 2 years. My family thinks this a dumb plan and to be honest im not 100% sure of it either. Is there any way i can resit my exams while also still being in college? Like night classes but for 16 year olds or something?
Travisscottstan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m pretty sure you can retake while being in education
cheerIeader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
First of all, your parents are right - this not a smart plan at all. GCSEs generally don't matter to Unis and there are so many ways to work round them whether thats a resit or not. Try emailing the Uni and asking whether the GCSE grade is absolutely essential to get in order to fulfil their requirements (they may be lenient to some applicants provided your A-Levels are good). If it definitely is required, then you can juggle it with your A-Levels. Taking a year out for a GCSE is laughable... GCSEs are the easiest part of the education system and not hard at all especially if you're only redoing 1 or 2.

Ask your college/sixth form if you can resit with them and try getting help from a private tutor or your science teachers at your sixth form and then sit it in the Summer. A gap year for a GCSE is unnecessary, a waste of time and quite literally unheard of. To put it short, you do not need a year out to resit GCSEs.
.AnotherStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheerIeader)
First of all, your parents are right - this not a smart plan at all. GCSEs generally don't matter to Unis and there are so many ways to work round them whether thats a resit or not. Try emailing the Uni and asking whether the GCSE grade is absolutely essential to get in order to fulfil their requirements (they may be lenient to some applicants provided your A-Levels are good). If it definitely is required, then you can juggle it with your A-Levels. Taking a year out for a GCSE is laughable... GCSEs are the easiest part of the education system and not hard at all especially if you're only redoing 1 or 2.

Ask your college/sixth form if you can resit with them and try getting help from a private tutor or your science teachers at your sixth form and then sit it in the Summer. A gap year for a GCSE is unnecessary, a waste of time and quite literally unheard of. To put it short, you do not need a year out to resit GCSEs.
I want to resit my gcse so im able to take the a level biology. Unless of course i dont need the gcse for it then I’m perfectly fine with not resitting, im planning to resit my gcse straight after my a levels are done, without a year of revision or whatever, then spend the gap year focusing on just a level biology
Last edited by .AnotherStudent; 2 months ago
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by .AnotherStudent)
I want to resit my gcse so im able to take the a level biology. Unless of course i dont need the gcse for it then I’m perfectly fine with not resitting
I'd say try to get into a sixth form without the GCSE minimum entry requirement if you can if you really want to do Biology a-Level or perhaps do a different A-Level which will also get you onto the same course/into the same University.

A year out for a GCSE is still not worth it at all to be honest. It'd only be good if you could do it within year 12.
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Can you do psychology instead of biology? I've just taken a look at the psychology course at manchester and they only require one science (sciences include biology, chemistry, physics, maths or psychology)
.AnotherStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheerIeader)
I'd say try to get into a sixth form without the GCSE minimum entry requirement if you can if you really want to do Biology a-Level or perhaps do a different A-Level which will also get you onto the same course/into the same University.

A year out for a GCSE is still not worth it at all to be honest. It'd only be good if you could do it within year 12.
If i was to resit the gcse in my second year, then take a gap year out for an a level. would that be ok? i just want an efficient method tbh. basically saying resit the gcse during my college years
tacobeth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I want to do psychology in University. I’m a student who is decently smart but my behaviour in class isnt the greatest. due to this i was given a 5 in science from teacher predicted grades, which i cannot appeal at all, when I needed a 6 to do biology in sixth form, which is needed to get into psychology at the University of Manchester (where i want to go). Instead of resitting my exam i decided to take a different course, which was drama. I plan on resitting my gcse after my a levels and then study for the a level biology, then hopefully pass and apply to university . However this will hold me back for uni for maybe 2 years. My family thinks this a dumb plan and to be honest im not 100% sure of it either. Is there any way i can resit my exams while also still being in college? Like night classes but for 16 year olds or something?
I’ve just been accepted into the university of Manchester for psychology and i’ve got a 5 in science. (I also have a 5 in maths when the requirements were a 6 if that’s any reassurance). I also didn’t do A level biology, but I’m assuming this is the only science subject you’re taking? Do they offer psychology at your sixth form?
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If i was to resit the gcse in my second year, then take a gap year out for an a level. would that be ok? i just want an efficient method tbh. basically saying resit the gcse during my college years
I mean sure.. but you don't even need A-Level Biology to do Psychology at most unis and if you don't have to do a year out then personally having taken one myself I wouldn't advise it unless you didn't get into Uni or were truly unhappy with your results.

I think resit the GCSE within sixth form and do different A-Levels and check with the Uni if it's fine to get in without Biology perhaps? You might not even need to resit the GCSE at all.
Miaxoxo_101
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For anyone starting sixth-form and College, take a look at this advice video!!! It's helpful as it has time stamps in the Description box

https://youtu.be/_dOPoHHGRoQ
.AnotherStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by tacobeth)
I’ve just been accepted into the university of Manchester for psychology and i’ve got a 5 in science. (I also have a 5 in maths when the requirements were a 6 if that’s any reassurance). I also didn’t do A level biology, but I’m assuming this is the only science subject you’re taking? Do they offer psychology at your sixth form?
Thank you for this, I reread the requirements page and I see you don’t need biology to do psychology. I thought it was required to do psychology. Yes and I am currently taking psychology as one of my subjects in sixth form!
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you for this, I reread the requirements page and I see you don’t need biology to do psychology. I thought it was required to do psychology. Yes and I am currently taking psychology as one of my subjects in sixth form!
Some unis will say 'a science' A-Level to do Psychology, but most also include Psychology in that list of required science subjects. You will be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (520)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.54%

Watched Threads