Messed around by OU. Which is best degree for med school?

Watch
marxkate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So, I've decided I'm definitely going to go for Notts Uni medical school when I finish my degree.

They do not have rules on which degree gets you in to the graduate entry medicine course, just that you need a certain degree classification etc.

I was originally studying psychology but decided to change to health sciences. I called student support and they changed it without checking the modules. Low and behold, there are no places on one of the modules.

I don't want to wait until 10th Sept to find if I have a place on it (currently on waiting list for said module).

My only other option is to switch now to a STEM degree and focus on human biology, cell biology etc.
Which would be best for med school do you think?

May I be able to switch at the end of next year (just before my final year of the degree) to health sciences or will it affect my classification?

Sorry for the ramble, hope someone can help!

Thank you!
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You will only be able to switch to health science degree if you have done modules which correspond to that degree.
Some modules fill up fast and waitlists are produced, sometimes they can hire more tutors to increase the amount of people they can take into the module and sometimes there are people that drop out and make space, but often the course is at capacity and those on the waiting list don’t get on for that year.

If med school isn’t bothered by which degree you do then choose the one that interests you most and you think will be most useful going forward.
marxkate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
This was the plan with health sciences. The stem module has all of the same modules but I would have to substitute this one.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Then switch to the combined stem degree and continue on
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (95)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (284)
15.09%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (199)
10.57%
Lack of purpose or motivation (264)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (83)
4.41%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (109)
5.79%
Loneliness (163)
8.66%
Financial worries (67)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (82)
4.36%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (105)
5.58%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (165)
8.77%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (177)
9.4%

Watched Threads