Should I type or write my notes?

Watch
nkva
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For processing making notes is good but what if it takes you half the year....

tragictimes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nkva)
I personally find it easier to write things out than to type them - it helps me remember things a lot more. Writing quickly might help? Or writing them as you cover a topic might make it more manageable. Everyone is different though
Last edited by tragictimes; 4 weeks ago
KelsieTaylor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do both sometimes, because my handwriting can be awful.
kleido
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i write all of my notes just because its faster for me
nkva
Rep:
?
(Original post by tragictimes)
I personally find it easier to write things out than to type them - it helps me remember things a lot more. Writing quickly might help? Or writing them as you cover a topic might make it more manageable. Everyone is different though
What if you make mindmaps for the information to memorize?
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I type mine - bad handwriting. I like to take pictures of drawings I make and upload them to the notes. Also I like that you can search for key terms etc easier and it's easier to keep things organized.
tragictimes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nkva)
What if you make mindmaps for the information to memorize?
Yep - drawing them out is super useful! It is a bit more time consuming than just condensing a textbook into notes but I think it helps. You can use apps to make mind-maps too - I used "mindmeister" for a while, but then I realised I was too focused on the aesthetic side so switched to a classic piece of paper and black ballpoint pen.
username5308830
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
write!
bubblecat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i type my notes because its faster and easier to carry my laptop around. but i make all my revision resources (flashcards, mind maps) by hand because writing it out helps me understand it more.
nkva
Rep:
?
When memorising people say use active recall and spaced repitition while using mindmaps so wouldn’t that be a better option?
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nkva)
Hi nkva

I personally like to write my notes as I feel like it helps me memories them and learn them a bit better. However, you could try out both writing and typing and sees what works best for you. You might find that it varies depending on the types of notes you make.

Zaira
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on what works for you. Typically hand writing them helps people remember better, but if you have poor handwriting or are a slow writer it might be better to type them.
nkva
Rep:
?
Thank you all for your advice I have made my decision
Cheesecake04
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would recommend picking the option that helps you remember more. Personally, i find that writing notes down helps me remember the specific details or facts more than just typing it as I seem to concentrate on the work better. On the other hand, if you struggle to read your own handwriting , typing may be better.

I hope this helped!
X.243llie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
a bit of both has helped me for example i write notes in a very cindensed form and then i make flashcards.but when i revise for a test for example i go through a range of questions and type up my answer as ita quicker and isnt something i need to remember as ive already written down the info. thats how i got a nearly an 8 in history was from typing the answer and editing then writing it down when it was finalised and then typing again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (55)
20.45%
No (214)
79.55%

Watched Threads