The Student Room Group

QUICK! I need to change my life dream before UCAT deadline

At this rate, I don't think I'm going to be able to dentistry..With my grades and UCAT preparation it just seems so far fetched. I'm not sure that I want to apply for biomedical science or pharmacy as many do, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest any healthcare/science related jobs that pay well but need UCAT or high grades...etc
Just for more context, why did you think about applying for dentistry to begin with?
Original post by Gumballfan
At this rate, I don't think I'm going to be able to dentistry..With my grades and UCAT preparation it just seems so far fetched. I'm not sure that I want to apply for biomedical science or pharmacy as many do, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest any healthcare/science related jobs that pay well but need UCAT or high grades...etc

You could always try and apply for graduate entry dentistry by studying a course like Biomedical Science first. If you do not want to do dentistry at all, other healthcare courses include optometry, podiatry, physiotherapy, nursing (dental or medical)
Reply 3
Original post by scarletdental19
Just for more context, why did you think about applying for dentistry to begin with?

Well I liked the idea of professionalism and having a nine to five where I can help people but also have a normal work-life balance something medicine can’t really provide from early on. Not to mention I prefer the idea of oral biology and studying it, I see myself doing it (again something I can’t with medicine). Not to mention, coming from an African household, I’ve always been adapted to using my hands especially with a range of different hairstyles, so I thought dentistry would also allow me to use my hair with the same principles of creativity and detail.
Reply 4
Original post by Gumballfan
Well I liked the idea of professionalism and having a nine to five where I can help people but also have a normal work-life balance something medicine can’t really provide from early on. Not to mention I prefer the idea of oral biology and studying it, I see myself doing it (again something I can’t with medicine). Not to mention, coming from an African household, I’ve always been adapted to using my hands especially with a range of different hairstyles, so I thought dentistry would also allow me to use my hair with the same principles of creativity and detail.

Hi @Gumballfan! Since you mentioned you would like something that uses hands-on skills and interested in healthcare, do consider podiatry as it looks like something you might be interested in! (eg. MSK, diabetes, forensic, podiatric surgery...)

I heard that the podiatry course is similar to medicine in many ways but I can't advise on the workload and work life balance part. Anyway, I think good work-life balance is hard to achieve with any job- It's up to you whether you want to work hard and reap the benefits.

Hope this helps! :-)

-SoonLi
Original post by Soonli
Hi @Gumballfan! Since you mentioned you would like something that uses hands-on skills and interested in healthcare, do consider podiatry as it looks like something you might be interested in! (eg. MSK, diabetes, forensic, podiatric surgery...)

I heard that the podiatry course is similar to medicine in many ways but I can't advise on the workload and work life balance part. Anyway, I think good work-life balance is hard to achieve with any job- It's up to you whether you want to work hard and reap the benefits.

Hope this helps! :-)

-SoonLi

I study podiatry, it's a difficult course and very medical related, however the jobs, salary and scope of practice don't justify how difficult the course actually is.

Optometry is a better option , as companies like specsavers pay optometrists really good saleries and job benefits, there is huge money in designer glasses and plenty for the workers... Good luck
Reply 6
Original post by Jamesbd36
I study podiatry, it's a difficult course and very medical related, however the jobs, salary and scope of practice don't justify how difficult the course actually is.

Optometry is a better option , as companies like specsavers pay optometrists really good saleries and job benefits, there is huge money in designer glasses and plenty for the workers... Good luck

Sorry to hear about the unsatisfactory results of your podiatry course...perhaps that is the case for GCU's podiatry programme. I can't comment about the quality of BSc Podiatry in other universities as I just only applied- but they look decent, and graduate salaries differ quite a bit between England and Scotland imo. But Good luck to you as well in your future course and career @Jamesbd36 ! :smile:
Original post by Soonli
Sorry to hear about the unsatisfactory results of your podiatry course...perhaps that is the case for GCU's podiatry programme. I can't comment about the quality of BSc Podiatry in other universities as I just only applied- but they look decent, and graduate salaries differ quite a bit between England and Scotland imo. But Good luck to you as well in your future course and career @Jamesbd36 ! :smile:

I'm bk into it at a different Uni, resitting clinic and actually now that I'm revising and studying again I'm starting to enjoy it , with podiatry their will always be positives and negatives as u will soon find out however if u can pass the course hopefully u should do alright out it. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest