The Student Room Group

Caught my brother

Hes 14. I went thru his discord account thinking he didnt have that and he had a whole new life there. It was mostly about a game he plays but idk he was a different person. He was in a discord sever where there were old guys as i saw their pics in selfie section.

Imma talk to him about it and tell him to delete his account as i believe social media is too dangerous up until 16 and he may learn things from them that he shouldnt know.

Or should i tell my mum. Im not a snitch but hes mostly likely gonna make another account since im going uni nxt year.

Scroll to see replies

get off his discord account, creep
Reply 2
Why were you logged into his discord server?
How old are you? How old were these 'old guys' you referred to?
Original post by Anonymous
Smd. It was open on his laptop

c r e e p
Reply 4
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Why were you logged into his discord server?
How old are you? How old were these 'old guys' you referred to?

It was logged in already. Im 18. Idk why youre all acting like its illegal to go through families stuff lol.

Idk they looked way above 20. I didnt even have social media at 15 and hes got like 300 friends and 20000 pings lol.
Reply 5
Original post by HoldThisL
c r e e p

Cringe 😪
lol I am 16 now and used discord like your brother for the last 2 years, playing with adults etc and I haven't been kidnapped yet.
Reply 7
It was logged in already. Im 18. Idk why youre all acting like its illegal to go through families stuff lol.

Idk they looked way above 20. I didnt even have social media at 15 and hes got like 300 friends and 20000 pings lol.

Not illegal, its just wrong. How would you feel if he snooped through your devices?
Looked is the key word here. Ask him about it and tell him your concerns.

And? Is there a problem with that?
Cringe 😪

the correct way to go about being a protective older sibling is to be attentive and see to anything that seems off about your brother, not to assume that something is wrong without him showing signs of anything negative
Not illegal, its just wrong. How would you feel if he snooped through your devices?

I wouldn't say it's wrong, if he's just looking out for the guy. It's his brother, not yours.
Oh no your brother has a life 🙄 unless there was things on there to suggest he was in danger of being groomed or being bullied etc it’s none of your business

I would be have been soooo annoyed if my sibling went on my open laptop when I was 14.
Hes 14. I went thru his discord account thinking he didnt have that and he had a whole new life there. It was mostly about a game he plays but idk he was a different person. He was in a discord sever where there were old guys as i saw their pics in selfie section.

Imma talk to him about it and tell him to delete his account as i believe social media is too dangerous up until 16 and he may learn things from them that he shouldnt know.

Or should i tell my mum. Im not a snitch but hes mostly likely gonna make another account since im going uni nxt year.

People do tend to do that, be someone they are not on line. But thats ok (within reason of course) . example Some people are just shy in person, but online they can create a persona they can 'release' of someone who is confident. If its mainly about a game he plays and has to have a specific persona in the game, then thats ok.

As long as its not violent suggestions, or sexual in nature. Who knows he might be talking about fishing, or dominoes, or grand theft auto. As long as its clean then there shouldn't be a problem.
(edited 3 years ago)

Idc i have nothing to hide. I use discord for religious purposes, gym stuff and uni.
lol I am 16 now and used discord like your brother for the last 2 years, playing with adults etc and I haven't been kidnapped yet.

Wow you're so cool!
Original post by HoldThisL
the correct way to go about being a protective older sibling is to be attentive and see to anything that seems off about your brother, not to assume that something is wrong without him showing signs of anything negative

He did show signs. Constantly hiding his stuff when i came near/flicking tabs, taking too long in toilet, always alone in a room.
Idc i have nothing to hide. I use discord for religious purposes, gym stuff and uni.

Wow you're so cool!

Literally just saying that what your brother is doing is not unsafe but I get met with a sarcastic, passive agressive reply. If you don't want other people's opinions don't make a thread about it.
I mean, you could've clicked off - bit weird choosing to snoop through his account, but if you've found something potentially dangerous then tell your parents. If it's not dangerous and he's just having a good time pretending to have a different life them let him- no harm in it.
Also what could he find out that he shouldn’t find out now, but would be ok once he reaches 16?

Drugs, racism, slang, bad things happening in the world etc?? I’m pretty sure at 14 he already has knowledge of those things. With that logic, he should never go to school, he’s far likely to learn ‘bad’ things from his peers!
Oh no your brother has a life 🙄 unless there was things on there to suggest he was in danger of being groomed or being bullied etc it’s none of your business

I would be have been soooo annoyed if my sibling went on my open laptop when I was 14.

Original post by Ghostlady
People do tend to do that, be someone they are not on line. But thats ok (within reason of course) . example Some people are just shy in person, but online they can create a persona they can 'release' of someone who is confident. If its mainly about a game he plays and has to have a specific persona in the game, then thats ok.

As long as its not violent suggestions, or sexual in nature. Who knows he might be talking about fishing, or dominoes, or grand theft auto. As long as its clean then there shouldn't be a problem.

Everyone knows theres always sexual content in discord servers. Other day i was playing with him and these guys were talking about 'saw a thick cheerleader 2day had a big b*ner'
Reply 18
Original post by Mike Harriot
I wouldn't say it's wrong, if he's just looking out for the guy. It's his brother, not yours.

Ah yes so ignore the sibling's privacy all together.
OP is the sibling, not the parent.
Smd. It was open on his laptop

Creep. Give him privacy

Latest

Trending

Trending