The Student Room Group

fashion school requirements

i’ve just left secondary school and i’m about to start sixth form, however, i’ve been rethinking my choices as i’ve been interested in researching a career in fashion for a while now. my current a-level choices are law, spanish & english literature. i’m not sure what i will take if i do decide to go to fashion school, but i was just wondering if these subjects would be okay or if i should take business studies instead of law. would i need an art based subject? i’ve done some research on UAL and i’ve seen that the subjects i’m planning on taking may be good for some courses. although, i’m looking to study abroad and FIT is my dream school but what would i have to take to stand out as an international student?
If you’re interested in fashion, it really wouldn’t hurt to take A-levels more closely related. If not, there are other routes to take they just take much longer. ( adding on another year to your education with a foundation year)

In relation to international schools— this would probably be vvvv expensive and possibly prohibited because of covid. Maybe consider doing a sandwich year, or studying abroad for your masters.
honestly, no body cares what a levels you take as long as you get the grades for them, i found this out when I got accepted through clearing at top russell group unis, if you want to do fashion design, take a creative subject and then 2 of your choice, do not follow teachers advise of taking history or whatever if you don't like them because chances are you'll get a lower grade if you aren't as enthusiastic in them as another subject
Original post by Medici66
If you’re interested in fashion, it really wouldn’t hurt to take A-levels more closely related. If not, there are other routes to take they just take much longer. ( adding on another year to your education with a foundation year)

In relation to international schools— this would probably be vvvv expensive and possibly prohibited because of covid. Maybe consider doing a sandwich year, or studying abroad for your masters.

thank you !! i haven’t got long until i start sixth form now, so i’m just rethinking which subjects i should be taking in regards to my future career. i didn’t do art or any creative type of subject for gcse, so would i be okay taking it for a-level?
Original post by Ali12121
honestly, no body cares what a levels you take as long as you get the grades for them, i found this out when I got accepted through clearing at top russell group unis, if you want to do fashion design, take a creative subject and then 2 of your choice, do not follow teachers advise of taking history or whatever if you don't like them because chances are you'll get a lower grade if you aren't as enthusiastic in them as another subject

thank you ... i definitely have an interest in law, but i know that it might not benefit me in terms of a fashion career. the only creative subjects i have open for me at my current sixth form choice are art & product design. however, taking art would mean dropping spanish, which is a subject i have loved. there are other colleges i could go to, but it would mean a subject change.
Original post by elishatamera
thank you ... i definitely have an interest in law, but i know that it might not benefit me in terms of a fashion career. the only creative subjects i have open for me at my current sixth form choice are art & product design. however, taking art would mean dropping spanish, which is a subject i have loved. there are other colleges i could go to, but it would mean a subject change.

I loved Spanish at GCSE too and took it for a year at A Level, then dropped it. It's completely different at A Level and it almost made me hate studying languages, but everyone is different so that's just my take on it. Since you're aspiring to study Fashion Design, I'd definitely say prioritise that first, and you could still do Law for A Level if you enjoy it - you wouldn't have to pursue it any further. Also, please choose subjects that you love! I cannot stress this any more, having finished my A Levels this year! All that facilitating subject crap is nonsense unless you're applying to Cambridge or Oxford. Pick the subjects that you're most likely going to enjoy and do best at!
thank you !! i haven’t got long until i start sixth form now, so i’m just rethinking which subjects i should be taking in regards to my future career. i didn’t do art or any creative type of subject for gcse, so would i be okay taking it for a-level?

At my sixth form, Art gcse was a requirement for Art A-level - unless you could prove your skills otherwise ( some past sketches/paintings). You could always email your sixth form/ head of Art department to ask. :smile:
i’ve just left secondary school and i’m about to start sixth form, however, i’ve been rethinking my choices as i’ve been interested in researching a career in fashion for a while now. my current a-level choices are law, spanish & english literature. i’m not sure what i will take if i do decide to go to fashion school, but i was just wondering if these subjects would be okay or if i should take business studies instead of law. would i need an art based subject? i’ve done some research on UAL and i’ve seen that the subjects i’m planning on taking may be good for some courses. although, i’m looking to study abroad and FIT is my dream school but what would i have to take to stand out as an international student?

Hey @elishatamera,

Most of the design based courses, in particular fashion, at UAL choose applicants based on their portfolio of work rather than their A-levels. Some of the fashion design courses also require you to have completed a foundation after your A levels this is something you could do at a local college or come to UAL to complete, you can check out the course pages for our 2 foundations at UAL here and here.

I think the biggest thing to consider is will you have time to continue your fashion work and prepare a portfolio outside of school alongside your other 3 A levels?

I hope that's helpful and please do not hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions regarding UAL.

All the best,

Tegan :smile:
UAL Student Rep

Hi @elishatamera

Its great to hear you are starting to think about your future!

We're an Independent Art College in the Southwest who offer Fashion https://www.plymouthart.ac.uk/courses/ba-hons-fashion at Degree Level and Fashion, Media, Marketing https://www.plymouthart.ac.uk/courses/ba-hons-fashion-media-and-marketing if it were something you'd want to consider in the future! We also offer a Pre-degree level where you could study a UAL Extended Diploma in Fashion & Textiles and at 18+ we also offer a Foundation Diploma
https://www.plymouthart.ac.uk/courses/pre-degree/

Our entry Requirements for Fashion at Ba(hons) are as followed: A Portfolio, 112-120 UCAS points earned through an: Art & Design Foundation Diploma, A-levels, BTEC Extended Diploma MMM grade, Access to HE Art & Design, Irish/Scottish Highers/Advanced Highers, the International Baccalaureate, or other international qualifications.
We have more infomation on this here https://www.plymouthart.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-courses/#:~:text=Applicants%20also%20need%20a%20portfolio,Baccalaureate%2C%20or%20other%20international%20qualifications.

I hope this helps and If you have any questions for us please don't hesitate to ask! :smile:

-Nath,
Third Year Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending