1234556gogo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have just sent off an appeal towards my army application. I am 20 years old and I went through self harm about 7 &8 years ago with only 3 cases recorded (2012,2013,2013) I have the doctors to back me up to say I’ve been perfect since and no other cases have been recorded. I’ve also stated in my appeal that I’ll see a physiologist to prove I’m mentally and physically suitable for the role. Anyone suggest what would happen? What’s my chances it’ll be okay and I’ll get a best chance letter to continue?
Advertisement
Jamie54321
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I don’t want to pee in your cornflakes but in response to your post I would say having the mental health history you mention, you should perhaps consider your potential career choice. You mention 3 episodes of self-harm some years ago, and without narrative we can only assume this is attributed to a difficult time. The thing to consider is you are looking at applying to the Army. Are you aware of the situations you may find yourself in? you could potentially be placed in situations that are far more troubling than you could imagine, situations that can mentally scar even the most stable mind. How would you cope? You may believe you are mentally sound now, yet if you turned to self-harm in the past, who is to say you won’t lose it in theatre jeopardising your unit. Would I want you standing with me when the proverbial hits the fan? Likely not, to be frank I would consider you a liability.
Last edited by Jamie54321; 4 months ago
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 1234556gogo)
I have just sent off an appeal towards my army application. I am 20 years old and I went through self harm about 7 &8 years ago with only 3 cases recorded (2012,2013,2013) I have the doctors to back me up to say I’ve been perfect since and no other cases have been recorded. I’ve also stated in my appeal that I’ll see a physiologist to prove I’m mentally and physically suitable for the role. Anyone suggest what would happen? What’s my chances it’ll be okay and I’ll get a best chance letter to continue?
Read the link below. No-one on here or in the AFCO can answer your question. The only people who assess you as fit for the Armed Forces are the doctors who look at you against the required standards.

An appeal is meant to address the reasons for rejection given in your letter and provide evidence that is in addition or different to that in your medical records; have you done that? Saying you can cope with normal life does not necessarily make you suitable to join up, and does not change the fact that you have had mental health issues; all the circumstances will have been considered and if you're seen as a risk you won't be accepted by the Army.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6178284
Advertisement
1234556gogo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Read the link below. No-one on here or in the AFCO can answer your question. The only people who assess you as fit for the Armed Forces are the doctors who look at you against the required standards.

An appeal is meant to address the reasons for rejection given in your letter and provide evidence that is in addition or different to that in your medical records; have you done that? Saying you can cope with normal life does not necessarily make you suitable to join up, and does not change the fact that you have had mental health issues; all the circumstances will have been considered and if you're seen as a risk you won't be accepted by the Army.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=617828
Hi! Thank you for the reply. I stated the self harm and mentioned everything on my doctors note, I have talked about why I’m appealing, I have talked about my ‘wants’ and I mentioned that If they consider my appeal, I’m happy to see a physiologist before joining. I am completely great! I’ve trained mixed martial arts for 5 years which developed my mentally capabilities. I have stated that I’m in perfect condition. What do you think?
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi! Thank you for the reply. I stated the self harm and mentioned everything on my doctors note, I have talked about why I’m appealing, I have talked about my ‘wants’ and I mentioned that If they consider my appeal, I’m happy to see a physiologist before joining. I am completely great! I’ve trained mixed martial arts for 5 years which developed my mentally capabilities. I have stated that I’m in perfect condition. What do you think?
I'm an ex-Armed Forces Recruiter and deal in facts; there's nothing to add to what I've already explained.
Advertisement
rjoco
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. Did you receive an outcome from your appeal?
1234556gogo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by rjoco)
Yeah I did. Sadly I got rejected again after sending another appeal off but it was completely understandable to be honest, it is not the end of the world. It took me 7 months of training to then get rejected, as there opinion was based on my medical from my past and their high standards- I did not meet their requirements. Even though my evidence wasn’t enough.
New doors and opportunities open up and now I’m currently going to university now and I have also taken on Airsoft and starting to look into Milsim stuff.
Advertisement
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rjoco)
Each medical assessment and appeal is looked at on a case-by-case basis, so it's not relevant who has and hasn't ended up getting through. Everyone's circumstances are different!
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Joining HM Armed Forces is a big decision tbh and not one to be taken lightly.

It can be extremely rewarding and interesting a path to take but it's not without it's challenges.

With all due respect, enlisting into any of the services is not like everyday life. It's not like your 9-5 in a portakabin in a builder's yard or stacking shelves at Co-Op. So while I'm absolutely pleased to see that you are coping a lot better with every day life - just because you are doing MMA and other hobbies, unfortunately, aren't enough to demonstrate that you can cope with the potential demands of being in the army.

Also you mention airsoft and military simulation - I feel that you're either not ready or do not have a very well rounded view/ motivation for joining the forces because it's a lot more than rolling round in mud and picking up an SA80.

You're obviously keen and motivated though so there's no doubt that you can go on to do some really good things, albeit outside of the military.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
57.86%
I don't have everything I need (142)
42.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise