apprenticeships, sixth form and college

Watch
SHizukohatake112
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
what is an apprenticeship? does it happen at the same time as college? does it happen at the same time as sixth form?can i go to college/sixth form while doing an apprenticeship? or do i have to?and after an apprenticeship can i go to university?
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SHizukohatake112)
what is an apprenticeship? does it happen at the same time as college? does it happen at the same time as sixth form?can i go to college/sixth form while doing an apprenticeship? or do i have to?and after an apprenticeship can i go to university?
There is different levels of an apprenticeship. They can be for alevels, btecs all the way up to degrees/masters. An apprenticeship is where you both learn and work at the same time, so you will be employed by an employer who will pay you to work for them and then one or two days a week they will send you to college/uni to learn the relevant knowledge for the course you are doing. If you do an alevel apprenticeship it will usually take two years, but some may take longer so do check, and yes, if you get the right qualifications you can go onto university afterwards.

Hope this helps
SHizukohatake112
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Becca216)
There is different levels of an apprenticeship. They can be for alevels, btecs all the way up to degrees/masters. An apprenticeship is where you both learn and work at the same time, so you will be employed by an employer who will pay you to work for them and then one or two days a week they will send you to college/uni to learn the relevant knowledge for the course you are doing. If you do an alevel apprenticeship it will usually take two years, but some may take longer so do check, and yes, if you get the right qualifications you can go onto university afterwards.

Hope this helps
it really does thank you so much, just one follow up-would it be better to go onto full time a levels or work with an apprenticeship?
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SHizukohatake112)
it really does thank you so much, just one follow up-would it be better to go onto full time a levels or work with an apprenticeship?
It is really up to you. It depends what kind of environment you work best in - if you want to start going into the 'world of work' then go for the apprenticeship. Just some things to note: with an apprenticeship you will get paid but is likely to be below the minimum wage and you will be working so you will most likely have a bit less free time then some of your peers who just do alevels.

Both apprenticeships and full time alevels have their pros and cons, it's just deciding which best suits you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (85)
21.52%
No (310)
78.48%

Watched Threads