Nolan02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey guys, first post here so not sure if this is the right place to post this, anyways, So this year I have completed L2 Btec in applied science and have achieved a Merit along with a grade 5 in GCSE Maths(Foundation), but I am thinking of switching my academic route and doing GCSE's in Science and English (4 GCSE's) instead of Level 3 btec so that i can sit A levels. However I am currently 18 yo so that means I would have to do an extra year for GCSE and I would be 19 starting my A levels rather than continuing Btec L3 at 18 with government funding..

I wish to do something in Medical field at Uni and have seen entry requirements requiring an A level if done with Btec. Also I am very motivated to sit A levels to get the required grade!

What do you recommend? Is doing A levels worth it? or should I continue Level 3 Btec in applied science? Thanks in advance

Edit: I plan on taking A level in Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
Aryz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
would u have to pay for it urself if u did a levels
CalculatorFX83
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nolan02)
Hey guys, first post here so not sure if this is the right place to post this, anyways, So this year I have completed L2 Btec in applied science and have achieved a Merit along with a grade 5 in GCSE Maths(Foundation), but I am thinking of switching my academic route and doing GCSE's in Science and English (4 GCSE's) instead of Level 3 btec so that i can sit A levels. However I am currently 18 yo so that means I would have to do an extra year for GCSE and I would be 19 starting my A levels rather than continuing Btec L3 at 18 with government funding..

I wish to do something in Medical field at Uni and have seen entry requirements requiring an A level if done with Btec. Also I am very motivated to sit A levels to get the required grade!

What do you recommend? Is doing A levels worth it? or should I continue Level 3 Btec in applied science? Thanks in advance

Edit: I plan on taking A level in Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
Greetings Nolan02,

First of all, congratulations on achieving a BTEC Level 2 in Applied Science and a Grade 5 in GCSE Maths (Foundation). It is great to see that you are motivated to sit your A-Levels and achieve the required grades that you need to study a Medical related course at university. I don't really know what type of job/occupation that you want to do in the future and so, you may want to do some research on the Internet before commencing your A-Level/BTEC studies. From what you have experienced in your Level 2 BTEC, you should be aware of the fact that BTECs are technical-based qualifications and they are equivalent to GCSEs and A-Levels in some respect. I did my BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering and I was able to get into university to study Mechanical Engineering. I also hold a Foundation Degree qualification in Mechanical Engineering (allows students to enter in the 2nd year of an engineering related degree, but it depends on the institutions around the UK). Due to the coronavirus situation, we don't really how A-Levels will be assessed in the future.

If you want to study Medicine at university, your BTEC Level 3 qualification will not be considered for entry. A-Levels in Maths, Biology and Chemistry are very good choices. However, you would need a good set of GCSE grades (at least a B to A* grade) in order for the institution to consider you for A-Levels. Of course, they will take your BTEC Level 2 in Applied Science into consideration.

I really hope that my post has answered your questions.
Nolan02
Rep:
?
Thank you for the info CalculatorFX83

Sorry i haven't mentioned earlier I would like to do Pharmacy at University preferably MPharm but to get onto that course every university I've checked requires at least one A level in Chemistry at grade B. Also it is not possible for me to do Btec along with an A level, so that's why i plan on switching.

I have already been enrolled for GCSEs at my local college (They do not do A levels) but there are quite a few other colleges I know of that do even for 19+

If that plan fails, what other courses can i do at University with a L3 extended applied science? thanks in advance
CalculatorFX83
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nolan02)
Thank you for the info CalculatorFX83

Sorry i haven't mentioned earlier I would like to do Pharmacy at University preferably MPharm but to get onto that course every university I've checked requires at least one A level in Chemistry at grade B. Also it is not possible for me to do Btec along with an A level, so that's why i plan on switching.

I have already been enrolled for GCSEs at my local college (They do not do A levels) but there are quite a few other colleges I know of that do even for 19+

If that plan fails, what other courses can i do at University with a L3 extended applied science? thanks in advance
Greetings Nolan02,

Thanks for your reply. It is great to see that you want to study Pharmacy at university. If the universities accept a BTEC Level 3 Applied Science alongside A-Level Chemistry, that would be great because all you really need to do is to focus on your Level 3 course and at the same time, working on getting a B grade in A-Level Chemistry. In addition, you don't really need to waste time and money studying other A-Levels, as it often puts students into very stressful situations. If that option is not available, you could take two years studying A-Level qualifications. I assume that you haven't got a good set of GCSE grades to study for your A-Levels and so, I would suggest that you work on it first.

If you wish to study A-Level Chemistry, I would check each college to see what are the entry requirements for A-Level Chemistry. You may need to get at least a B grade in GCSE Chemistry or good grades in GCSE Core and Additional Science. I would assume that you are from the UK but the qualifications are different for each and every country in the world.

As for what other options that you could take if your plan fails, you could study a BTEC HNC/HND in a Pharmacy related course or maybe a Foundation Degree. These types of qualifications can help you progress into the second year of Pharmacy degree. However, that depends on what the universities would like from prospective students and the entry requirements. I would always have a couple of career options in case the first one didn't work out at all for me and this means that you don't need to waste your valuable time by taking a gap year or rebuilding your qualification. Of course, I will leave all of the decision making up to you.

I hope that I have answered your questions.
Nolan02
Rep:
?
(Original post by CalculatorFX83)
Greetings Nolan02,

Thanks for your reply. It is great to see that you want to study Pharmacy at university. If the universities accept a BTEC Level 3 Applied Science alongside A-Level Chemistry, that would be great because all you really need to do is to focus on your Level 3 course and at the same time, working on getting a B grade in A-Level Chemistry. In addition, you don't really need to waste time and money studying other A-Levels, as it often puts students into very stressful situations. If that option is not available, you could take two years studying A-Level qualifications. I assume that you haven't got a good set of GCSE grades to study for your A-Levels and so, I would suggest that you work on it first.

If you wish to study A-Level Chemistry, I would check each college to see what are the entry requirements for A-Level Chemistry. You may need to get at least a B grade in GCSE Chemistry or good grades in GCSE Core and Additional Science. I would assume that you are from the UK but the qualifications are different for each and every country in the world.

As for what other options that you could take if your plan fails, you could study a BTEC HNC/HND in a Pharmacy related course or maybe a Foundation Degree. These types of qualifications can help you progress into the second year of Pharmacy degree. However, that depends on what the universities would like from prospective students and the entry requirements. I would always have a couple of career options in case the first one didn't work out at all for me and this means that you don't need to waste your valuable time by taking a gap year or rebuilding your qualification. Of course, I will leave all of the decision making up to you

I hope that I have answered your questions.
Thank you so much for the info! You've helped me a bunch. Cheers!
Nolan02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aryz)
would u have to pay for it urself if u did a levels
yea that's the problem
Nolan02
Rep:
?
@ecolier can you help me please :|
I would like to do Medicine or even MPharm at university if my plans fails. what would be the best education route to choose from? Btec, Access course or A levels?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (136)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.6%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.46%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.41%
No - I live at home during term anyway (139)
29.08%

Watched Threads