A levels advice for Economics, Maths, History and Chemisrty

Watch
dontaskaboutmy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi! I'm starting Y12 soon, so I was just wondering whether any current Y12s, Y13s (or anyone who has done their A levels) have any specific advice for any of these subjects or even just general advice?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by dontaskaboutmy)
Hi! I'm starting Y12 soon, so I was just wondering whether any current Y12s, Y13s (or anyone who has done their A levels) have any specific advice for any of these subjects or even just general advice?
Get well organised. If you struggle a lot with one then drop it.
Its about the best 3 grades with least effort.
Watch out for History as it has a lot of volume and an NEA.
If you work hard in Y12 then it will make Y13 a lot easier.
Have good notes, get a routine for studying, have a year plan.
Practice exam papers.
o_reo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I take Maths, economics, and dropped chemistry at the end of year 12 (I am about to start year 13)

Maths - I am doing AQA and this is my advice
- get a folder for pure, mechanics and stats
- at the end of each lesson write a summary on how to answer the type of questions they did (mainly for topics that are new/hard)
- practice questions for each topic is the most important part for maths so after every topic do practice questions
- I found it quite easy in year 12 (but that may be because I took furthermaths GCSE and physics a level which helps for mechanics)

Economics
- easiest a level I do BUT still isn't that easy - get a folder for micro and macro
-write summary notes at the end of each lesson
- stay up to date with what's happening in the economy by reading the news or books that interest you

Chemistry
- get folders for pure, organic and inorganic
- its hard... even if you understand what you do in class you can still get it wrong in the exam so PRACTICE QUESTIONS do a lot
- make flashcards for organic chem as you have to remember structures

Good luck I know it sound like a lot but if you stay on top of your work and stay organised you will do well
Also they will ease you into year 12 dont think at the very start you have to do hardcore revision the first topics you learn are not that bad. Slowly make your revision time longer throughout the year but yeah

And enjoy year 12... my year got cut short because of lockdown but it was fun... you dont have the pressure of uni stuff or a level exams as much
dontaskaboutmy
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Get well organised. If you struggle a lot with one then drop it.
Its about the best 3 grades with least effort.
Watch out for History as it has a lot of volume and an NEA.
If you work hard in Y12 then it will make Y13 a lot easier.
Have good notes, get a routine for studying, have a year plan.
Practice exam papers.
Thank you!!! Also, is it possible to move sixth forms if you don't like the ones you're going to. I turned down an offer from one school because I wanted to go to another sixth form, but because I applied late to them they didn't have any more space for me, so I'm stuck going to my secondary's sixth form. What should I do if you know?
dontaskaboutmy
Rep:
?
(Original post by m.s124)
I take Maths, economics, and dropped chemistry at the end of year 12 (I am about to start year 13)

- at the end of each lesson write a summary on how to answer the type of questions they did (mainly for topics that are new/hard)
- practice questions for each topic is the most important part for maths so after every topic do practice questions
- I found it quite easy in year 12 (but that may be because I took furthermaths GCSE and physics a level which helps for mechanics)

Economics
- easiest a level I do BUT still isn't that easy - get a folder for micro and macro
- stay up to date with what's happening in the economy by reading the news or books that interest you

Chemistry
- its hard... even if you understand what you do in class you can still get it wrong in the exam so PRACTICE QUESTIONS do a lot

Good luck I know it sound like a lot but if you stay on top of your work and stay organised you will do well
Also they will ease you into year 12 dont think at the very start you have to do hardcore revision the first topics you learn are not that bad. Slowly make your revision time longer throughout the year but yeah
And enjoy year 12... my year got cut short because of lockdown but it was fun... you dont have the pressure of uni stuff or a level exams as much
Thank you !!! I was planning on going to a uni for Econ, but I heard that LSE wants further maths, do you recommend taking further maths at a level Also, is it possible to move sixth forms if you don't like the ones you're going to. I turned down an offer from one school because I wanted to go to another sixth form, but because I applied late to them they didn't have any more space for me, so I'm stuck going to my secondary's sixth form. What should I do if you know?
999tigger
Report 4 months ago
Thank you!!! Also, is it possible to move sixth forms if you don't like the ones you're going to. I turned down an offer from one school because I wanted to go to another sixth form, but because I applied late to them they didn't have any more space for me, so I'm stuck going to my secondary's sixth form. What should I do if you know?
Yes but most sixth forms will be full now. Get on the phone.
username402722
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Economics

Chemistry

I agree with the comments about Economics. Maths I found hard.

The other thing I have mentioned a number of times, especially when it comes to exams, is to ensure you have a good nights sleep. No late night studying, or staying up late for gaming or for a tv programme (IPlayer is your friend!).
dontaskaboutmy
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Yes but most sixth forms will be full now. Get on the phone.
Oh okay, should I call back the sixth form I want to go to or?
999tigger
Report 4 months ago
Oh okay, should I call back the sixth form I want to go to or?
You need to check the websites of the ones you are interested in and check to see if they are full or not.
https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/
M3ll
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Finished A-levels this year and did chem and history )
Firstly, definitely drop one subject at the end of yr 12! Most 6th forms advise this now anyway (except in the case of maths & further maths) and Unis only need 3 subjects so it will make your life so much easier.

For chemistry it's just a case of past papers and example questions IMO & there's very little use in taking long notes, especially if you have a decent textbook. The jump from year 11 to 12 in chemistry is quite intense but actually after that I found it quite a gradual progression in difficulty but another thing that will save you a lot of effort at the end it keeping on top of your PAG book (recording practical work). Unfortunately as mentioned above organic chemistry is a lot of memorisation but if you start early it's actually quite a bit easier than physical chem.

I reckon history was not the easiest in terms of content but possibly my easiest subjects to get high marks in because the essay structuring and mark schemes are so prescribed. Once you have learned a solid essay structure it's just a case of memorisation unfortunately :/ which is why I relied on making flashcards the whole way through rather than really long notes. Again, essay planning/writing is probably the best form of revision. I did find the jump between source questions at GCSE and A-level quite challenging tbh

Also, don't stress! 6th forms tend to ease you into A-levels and won't pile on loads of new content immediately, especially this year
dontaskaboutmy
Rep:
?
(Original post by M3ll)
(Finished A-levels this year and did chem and history )
Firstly, definitely drop one subject at the end of yr 12! Most 6th forms advise this now anyway (except in the case of maths & further maths) and Unis only need 3 subjects so it will make your life so much easier.

For chemistry it's just a case of past papers and example questions IMO & there's very little use in taking long notes, especially if you have a decent textbook. The jump from year 11 to 12 in chemistry is quite intense but actually after that I found it quite a gradual progression in difficulty but another thing that will save you a lot of effort at the end it keeping on top of your PAG book (recording practical work). Unfortunately as mentioned above organic chemistry is a lot of memorisation but if you start early it's actually quite a bit easier than physical chem.

I reckon history was not the easiest in terms of content but possibly my easiest subjects to get high marks in because the essay structuring and mark schemes are so prescribed. Once you have learned a solid essay structure it's just a case of memorisation unfortunately :/ which is why I relied on making flashcards the whole way through rather than really long notes. Again, essay planning/writing is probably the best form of revision. I did find the jump between source questions at GCSE and A-level quite challenging tbh

Also, don't stress! 6th forms tend to ease you into A-levels and won't pile on loads of new content immediately, especially this year
Thank you !!! I was getting so worried because I saw a couple people complaining about how hard Maths, History and Chemistry are. I was considering dropping History as while I love the subject, I cannot write essays very well.
o_reo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank you !!! I was planning on going to a uni for Econ, but I heard that LSE wants further maths, do you recommend taking further maths at a level Also, is it possible to move sixth forms if you don't like the ones you're going to. I turned down an offer from one school because I wanted to go to another sixth form, but because I applied late to them they didn't have any more space for me, so I'm stuck going to my secondary's sixth form. What should I do if you know?
I would recommend taking further maths if you like maths - as maths/econ/stem related degrees prefer you to have it
What my friends say about furthermaths
- it is more enjoyable than normal maths a level
- they find normal maths a level really easy and barely have to revise it as they spend most of their time on furthermaths
Personally I kind of wish I took it but oh well

about your sixth form...
like someone said call the sixth form you want to go to and see if they have any spaces
if that doesn't work im not sure what else you could do
I stayed at my secondary school sixth form and its ok but there are definitely better sixth forms
but if you work hard you can get good grades no matter what school you go to - even if your teachers are not that great.... you are more independent in sixth form anyway

good luck!!
dontaskaboutmy
Rep:
?
I would recommend taking further maths if you like maths - as maths/econ/stem related degrees prefer you to have it
What my friends say about furthermaths
- it is more enjoyable than normal maths a level
- they find normal maths a level really easy and barely have to revise it as they spend most of their time on furthermaths
Personally I kind of wish I took it but oh well

about your sixth form...
like someone said call the sixth form you want to go to and see if they have any spaces
if that doesn't work im not sure what else you could do
I stayed at my secondary school sixth form and its ok but there are definitely better sixth forms
but if you work hard you can get good grades no matter what school you go to - even if your teachers are not that great.... you are more independent in sixth form anyway

good luck!!
Ohhhh thank you!! I called the sixth form I wanted to go to but they're full : ( I cold try calling this other sixth form to see where I am on the waiting list.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.38%
I don't have everything I need (352)
43.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed