The snow bunting
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Right this isn't going to be one of those am I good enough things because people hate those and I have adequate grades (For a Cambridge applicant not just a normal person haha) I'm from Scotland and I have got straight A's in all my exams and am predicted them this year. I'm going to apply to LNAT universities like Bristol and was wondering if I should apply to Cambridge even though they have their own different test. I'm planning to sit the LNAT in December so oxford is out of the question as I don't feel confident enough to do it before. September is a really busy month for me and I am yet to write my personal statement and need to decide by the 28th whether I should apply. I think I have little chance of getting in but how much work would it be to get it all done in around a month and how difficult is the Cambridge admissions test alongside the LNAT? Also if I apply to Cambridge must I sit my LNAT before October or is this just for Oxford as I know my application will be sent away early but my LNAT would only be done in December. I'm getting really stressed as people say I should apply but I don't think there's any chance I'd get in as there are so many other fantastic applicant and it's going to be really stressful. Is it worth it?
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It depends. Do you actually want to go to Cambridge or are you just applying because everyone said you’ve got the grades and might have a shot? It’s certainly not for everyone, but if you genuinely want to apply and it’s your first choice, I don’t see why you shouldn’t.

It’s only one option of 5 at the end of the day, so it doesn’t hurt to put it down, but only if you want it enough to put that work in.

The Cambridge Law Test has sample papers online for you to practice with, and this would, of course, mean doing it on top of the LNAT. Interviews are similar; you can only prepare so much with teachers etc, and the real thing is a challenge, but just be prepared as possible.

Effectively, it’s worth it if you want it. If you’re only applying because people have told you to and you have no real desire to go, then I wouldn’t bother. If you genuinely want to try out, why not?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The snow bunting)
I'm getting really stressed as people say I should apply but I don't think there's any chance I'd get in as there are so many other fantastic applicant and it's going to be really stressful. Is it worth it?
It's not worth it if it is making you stressed because you only want to apply for other people not yourself.

There are lots of good unis for Law so you need to work out which ones are right for you bearing in mind your own personality, likes/dislikes and attitude to work/stress. I would never encourage someone to apply to Oxford or Cambridge who hadn't at least attended an Open Day, those these are unfortunately online at present.
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
It's not worth it if it is making you stressed because you only want to apply for other people not yourself.

There are lots of good unis for Law so you need to work out which ones are right for you bearing in mind your own personality, likes/dislikes and attitude to work/stress. I would never encourage someone to apply to Oxford or Cambridge who hadn't at least attended an Open Day, those these are unfortunately online at present.
Exactly.

I think it’s all well and good people telling you to apply to Oxbridge, and you’ve got the grades for it, have a real shot etc, but you should only apply if you genuinely want to.

Of course, having Cambridge on your CV looks amazing and it’s one of the best unis in the world, but it’s not for everyone. I didn’t bother applying as that work/life balance and pressure just didn’t appeal to me.

It sounds more like you want to go because of external voices; Bristol is still an excellent uni to have a Law degree from.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (496)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (616)
41.62%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (300)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.59%

Watched Threads