The Student Room Group

A levels

What is a better combination of a levels? In order of appeal

Biology, History, Spanish

Biology Chemistry History Spanish

Biology English History Spanish

Basically the question is should I do Chemistry or English, and would taking solely Biology as an a level be very difficult, I got a 9 at GCSE in all of the above subjects.

I will start with 4 but should I keep English or Chemistry going (I'm probably much better at English but Chemistry looks better and keeps more things open for the future).
Reply 1
Original post by trotters03

Basically the question is should I do Chemistry or English, and would taking solely Biology as an a level be very difficult, I got a 9 at GCSE in all of the above subjects.

I will start with 4 but should I keep English or Chemistry going (I'm probably much better at English but Chemistry looks better and keeps more things open for the future).

Depends on what you want to go into at uni. A science course like medicine dentistry or certain engineering courses id say take chem over English but for arts you might want to take English. Look at the A Level specs and see which one you prefer as well.

I wouldn't recommend taking up chemistry just because it may look better and would keep more doors open. If you're not interested in those doors there is no point of keeping them open. I would probably sit down and decide to witch path my heart or logic pulls me.... is it sciences? or is it Humanities?

Just to keep in mind! I started with 4 subjects as well. Chemistry, Biology, Spanish and Geography but had to drop Geo so I could concentrate more on the others. It's important to remember that its better to have 3 subjects with good grades than 4 with average ones.

Btw congratulations for the excellent grades at GCSE :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Navy_Blue
I wouldn't recommend taking up chemistry just because it may look better and would keep more doors open. If you're not interested in those doors there is no point of keeping them open. I would probably sit down and decide to witch path my heart or logic pulls me.... is it sciences? or is it Humanities?

Just to keep in mind! I started with 4 subjects as well. Chemistry, Biology, Spanish and Geography but had to drop Geo so I could concentrate more on the others. It's important to remember that its better to have 3 subjects with good grades than 4 with average ones.

Totally agree with you, forgot to say congrats
Reply 4

Thank you so much you're definitely right about the 3 subjects, but do you think Biology History and Spanish would be a bad combination?
Thank you so much you're definitely right about the 3 subjects, but do you think Biology History and Spanish would be a bad combination?

When universities state that their standard entry requirement is AAB (just and example) they usually also specify that you need to have taken History and Spanish at A levels. The third subject can usually be anything. (Not with medicine or law) So I'm going to combine 2 of your subjects and let you know what courses you could take after sixth form and hopefully that will help.

History and Spanish: It actually fits really well. You have so many possibilities to choose from with these two. I am only gonna list a few but there are so much more. (I'll copy the link in here which will help you a lot to browse for courses)
- History and modern languages, History and medieval languages, Linguistics, Liberal Arts, European studies and even law at some unis.

History and biology: Also a lot of possibilities.
- Archaeology, Archaelogy and environmental studies, flexible combined honours, Natural sciences at some unis.

You won't be eligible to most science based courses bc usually unis ask for at least 2 science subjects. Eg.: Bio+maths, bio+chem, bio+physics....

Use this link for further course browsing. Put your subjects in the filter and courses made for you will pop up. :smile:
https://digital.ucas.com/search

I hope it helped,
Reply 6
When universities state that their standard entry requirement is AAB (just and example) they usually also specify that you need to have taken History and Spanish at A levels. The third subject can usually be anything. (Not with medicine or law) So I'm going to combine 2 of your subjects and let you know what courses you could take after sixth form and hopefully that will help.

History and Spanish: It actually fits really well. You have so many possibilities to choose from with these two. I am only gonna list a few but there are so much more. (I'll copy the link in here which will help you a lot to browse for courses)
- History and modern languages, History and medieval languages, Linguistics, Liberal Arts, European studies and even law at some unis.

History and biology: Also a lot of possibilities.
- Archaeology, Archaelogy and environmental studies, flexible combined honours, Natural sciences at some unis.

You won't be eligible to most science based courses bc usually unis ask for at least 2 science subjects. Eg.: Bio+maths, bio+chem, bio+physics....

Use this link for further course browsing. Put your subjects in the filter and courses made for you will pop up. :smile:
https://digital.ucas.com/search

I hope it helped,

Wow thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest