The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Diversity at Cardiff

Hey so im about to start studying at cardiff and am really anxious as I've heard from lots of people that its a very white uni. As a brown muslim, im just a bit anxious and am curious as to how many people like me there may be and if anyone else will not be drinking at freshers week.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anxiousstudent12
Hey so im about to start studying at cardiff and am really anxious as I've heard from lots of people that its a very white uni. As a brown muslim, im just a bit anxious and am curious as to how many people like me there may be and if anyone else will not be drinking at freshers week.

Haha was also thinking the same thing! I'm also not gonna drink; but I'm sure there's gonna be others in the same boat.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
This is a really late but I felt the same when I was starting this year too, was terrifying😂
Reply 3
Depends what course you're going to do. On my MSc Finance course it was 80-90% Chinese :biggrin:

I'm half Arab and found no problems finding many other Arabs around the university and especially in the city. The uni as a whole is quite diverse I would say. Having done my undergraduate course in another city that is over 90% White, Cardiff is a lot more diverse :wink:.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ohala
Depends what course you're going to do. On my MSc Finance course it was 80-90% Chinese :biggrin:

I'm half Arab and found no problems finding many other Arabs around the university and especially in the city. The uni as a whole is quite diverse I would say. Having done my undergraduate course in another city that is over 90% White, Cardiff is a lot more diverse :wink:.

Are there a lot of black people at the university?
Reply 5
Original post by kezeuz123
Are there a lot of black people at the university?

Honestly I don't remember seeing any, but there certainly are some.
Original post by Ohala
Honestly I don't remember seeing any, but there certainly are some.

Oh :frown: that’s quite worrying ngl loll
Reply 7
Oh :frown: that’s quite worrying ngl loll

Yeah Cardiff ranks top 10 "most white" Russell Group unis. The 10% BME students they have are mostly Chinese.
Original post by Ohala
Yeah Cardiff ranks top 10 "most white" Russell Group unis. The 10% BME students they have are mostly Chinese.

How are u finding cardiff uni? Is it a nice city to live?

Haha I was thinking this as well, but then I changed my mind and decided to put my firm choice as Queen Mary
Reply 10
How are u finding cardiff uni? Is it a nice city to live?

I finished my Masters back in September 2019 and graduated in July 2020 so I'm no longer in the city but it was a great place to live! Friendly people, decent nightlife, plenty of activities and quite scenic and within range of other beautiful areas.
Original post by xS1m
This is a really late but I felt the same when I was starting this year too, was terrifying😂

How are u finding cardiff university/the diversity at the uni?
Reply 12

I got lucky and I’ve come across many pocs but I know quite a few people who don’t really encounter many within the uni itself. It’s all diff experiences I guess. I’d defo recommend joining societies as there’s a society for pretty much everyone - you can see a list of all the societies on the Cardiff uni student union website (Google search it). I joined a few and they’re pretty good (Covid restrictions aside🙄)
Reply 13

Also the city is really diverse too! I moved from West London and didn’t feel out of place within the city! Hope that helps x
Reply 14

I am a Cardiff University alumni. I am an Indonesian and muslim. Cardiff is a very white university? that is not true. Cardiff is a VERY diverse university. I studied Journalism. My classmates were so diverse. Several chinese, african, european, canadian, and brits of course. I was the only Malay at that time. You can google student societies at the university to see how diverse university is. I had great times during my time at Cardiff. I never had problems as a Muslim living and making friends in Cardiff. If you want to shop halal foods, there are plenty and easy to find.

i recommend you to join student societies. It is one of the best ways to meet new friends from different countries.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by revi298
I am a Cardiff University alumni. I am an Indonesian and muslim. Cardiff is a very white university? that is not true. Cardiff is VERY diverse university. I studied Journalism. My classmates were so diverse. Several chinese, african, european, canadian, and brits of course. I was the only Malay at that time. You can google student societies at the university to see how diverse university is. I had great times during my time at Cardiff. I never had problems as a Muslim living and making friends in Cardiff. If you want to shop halal foods, there are plenty and easy to find.

i recommend you to join student societies. It is one of the best ways to meet new friends from different countries.

How did u find living in cardiff as a city? Are there lots of things to do? and also did u make friends other unis close to cardiff e.g cardiff met and bristol
Original post by revi298
I am a Cardiff University alumni. I am an Indonesian and muslim. Cardiff is a very white university? that is not true. Cardiff is VERY diverse university. I studied Journalism. My classmates were so diverse. Several chinese, african, european, canadian, and brits of course. I was the only Malay at that time. You can google student societies at the university to see how diverse university is. I had great times during my time at Cardiff. I never had problems as a Muslim living and making friends in Cardiff. If you want to shop halal foods, there are plenty and easy to find.

did u also come across lots of black people at the university? I’ve heard there aren’t many Afro/Caribbean people at Cardiff uni :/
Reply 17
How did u find living in cardiff as a city? Are there lots of things to do? and also did u make friends other unis close to cardiff e.g cardiff met and bristol

Cardiff is a very lovely city. Low cost of living. The city is very compact , it is easy to walk everywhere. Plenty of lovely parks such as Alexandra Garden, Bute Park, Roath Park. I love going to Cardiff Bay which is not very far from the city centre ( in my opinion). If you enjoy sports like me, you can join one of sports societies at student union. My first few months in Cardiff, I lived in an university accommodation in Senghennydd Road. A house that I shared with students from Nigeria, China, The Philippines, and Spain. After my contract ended, I moved to a private accommodation behind student union, living with Swedish students (mostly studied at the University of South Wales).

During my time in Cardiff, I travelled a lot, visiting other cities in the UK that i had never been before. I love visiting Brecon Beacons, Gower Peninsula, etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
did u also come across lots of black people at the university? I’ve heard there aren’t many Afro/Caribbean people at Cardiff uni :/

Yes, there are many many black people at the university. I had classmates from Ghana, Tanzania, Malawi,Nigeria, and South Africa.
Reply 19

There seems to be a pretty active African Caribbean society at the university:

https://www.cardiffstudents.com/activities/society/acs/

https://cardiffuniacs.wixsite.com/cuacs

it might be worth getting in touch with them if you're worried. For Wales, Cardiff (the university and the city) is pretty diverse, but if you are moving from somewhere like London it may not seem so. It's a lovely city: cheap to live, friendly and accepting.

Quick Reply

Latest