fifitee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am doing English lit as an a-level and part if that is coursework. So I have picked my book, 'the bluest eye' which I have to write alongside 'The colour purple', but I was wondering how to tackle everything, can someone explain the process of what I need to do.
I want to focus on the theme race.
Do I just read the book and highlight anything relating to that theme...
please help!
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did my Edexcel coursework this year and got full marks, and this was my process, although everyone does it differently!
Aug-October: read texts, decide the theme I want to study, go through and find quotes in both books that relate to that theme. Start looking at critics who talk abiut that theme using Google scholar and JSTOR.

Early October: decide on title

Late October: start planning the first draft, including the main moments from the books that I'm going to discuss in each paragraph, contextual points I might add in, and critical quotes that would fit into each paragraph. Keep reading critical papers!

November: write a first draft that no one else will read, ever. Just aim to get it done, no matter how bad it is.

Have a 1-3 weeks off

Early December: go through and highlight in different colours where you've done close analysis, context, critical quote analysis, comparison etc (depending on your mark scheme!). Also indicate Inthe margins where you think your writing is particularly unclear or poorly put together.
Start second draft that the teacher will see. Particularly focus on editing unclear parts, parts that don't support your main argument, and adding in more of whichever assessment objectives you've missed out in different places.

Christmas: teacher does their 1 allowed marking of the draft

Post christmas: Read teacher comments clearly, and do additional research on points you feel uncertain on or unconfident about. Don't be afraid to even get rid of large sections of you and your teacher seem to agree that they're not really helping your argument, but in general, try just to reword and add in assessment adjectives to strengthen your arguments in each paragraph and in the essay as a whole!
Leave a week between finishing a draft and rereading.
Ask a friend to proofread for grammar and to make sure it makes sense in terms of arguement.
Write a final draft which corrects any grammatical or spelling mistakes, clarifies longer sentences, and which makes sure you're under the word count! Complete any unfinished citations.

Kapeesh.

How I planned:
-> essay theme
-> essay question
---> overall argument

1. Paragraph 1 theme
- book that will lead my argument, and main scenes from the book that I'll discuss, and maybe specific quotes/ techniques I'll mention.
- main scenes from the other book that I'll link to the leading book.
CONTEXTUAL POINT!
Critical quotes I might use

2. Paragraph 2 theme
3. Paragraph etc theme!

By 'leading book' I mean the boo that I'll focus on slightly more in a specific paragraph. For me, at least, in Edexcel, constant comparison was necessary, but having a different book lead the argument in each paragraph meant that it didn't feel too forced or disjointed!

I should also say that my original plan doesn't really look like my finished essay much at all, and that the editing process does wonders. Research is also key, cos some of those academics will bring up points that you never even considered before

I can't say whether any of this constitutes good planning or process, but it worked for me, and hopefully it might help you?!
Last edited by redmeercat; 1 year ago
fifitee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
i did my edexcel coursework this year and got full marks, and this was my process, although everyone does it differently!
Aug-october: Read texts, decide the theme i want to study, go through and find quotes in both books that relate to that theme. Start looking at critics who talk abiut that theme using google scholar and jstor.

Early october: Decide on title

late october: Start planning the first draft, including the main moments from the books that i'm going to discuss in each paragraph, contextual points i might add in, and critical quotes that would fit into each paragraph. Keep reading critical papers!

November: Write a first draft that no one else will read, ever. Just aim to get it done, no matter how bad it is.

Have a 1-3 weeks off

early december: Go through and highlight in different colours where you've done close analysis, context, critical quote analysis, comparison etc (depending on your mark scheme!). Also indicate inthe margins where you think your writing is particularly unclear or poorly put together.
Start second draft that the teacher will see. Particularly focus on editing unclear parts, parts that don't support your main argument, and adding in more of whichever assessment objectives you've missed out in different places.

Christmas: Teacher does their 1 allowed marking of the draft

post christmas: Read teacher comments clearly, and do additional research on points you feel uncertain on or unconfident about. Don't be afraid to even get rid of large sections of you and your teacher seem to agree that they're not really helping your argument, but in general, try just to reword and add in assessment adjectives to strengthen your arguments in each paragraph and in the essay as a whole!
Leave a week between finishing a draft and rereading.
Ask a friend to proofread for grammar and to make sure it makes sense in terms of arguement.
Write a final draft which corrects any grammatical or spelling mistakes, clarifies longer sentences, and which makes sure you're under the word count! Complete any unfinished citations.

Kapeesh.

How i planned:
-> essay theme
-> essay question
---> overall argument

1. Paragraph 1 theme
- book that will lead my argument, and main scenes from the book that i'll discuss, and maybe specific quotes/ techniques i'll mention.
- main scenes from the other book that i'll link to the leading book.
Contextual point!
Critical quotes i might use

2. Paragraph 2 theme
3. Paragraph etc theme!

By 'leading book' i mean the boo that i'll focus on slightly more in a specific paragraph. For me, at least, in edexcel, constant comparison was necessary, but having a different book lead the argument in each paragraph meant that it didn't feel too forced or disjointed!

I should also say that my original plan doesn't really look like my finished essay much at all, and that the editing process does wonders. Research is also key, cos some of those academics will bring up points that you never even considered before

i can't say whether any of this constitutes good planning or process, but it worked for me, and hopefully it might help you?!
i realy appreciate your response so much !! I actually love you thank you so much! You have saved me !
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fifitee)
i realy appreciate your response so much !! I actually love you thank you so much! You have saved me !
Don't worry, you'd have managed without me! But you're welcome! Let me know if you have any more questions!

I should also say that I wrote 5 or 6 drafts in total, including the 2 before the teacher read it, the final one after my friend proofread for spelling and grammar, so 2-3 between Christmas and proofreading! Some people only write one, but I find it to stressful to be working to the deadline like that, and it's easier to improve by writing a new draft, even if relatively little changes between drafts!
Last edited by redmeercat; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.6%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.74%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.75%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (29)
14.72%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (54)
27.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (37)
18.78%

Watched Threads