What would I expect doing A-Level Geography?

Watch this thread
emily_03
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
I still have some time before I finalise my subject choices, and I'm thinking of switching to geography. Does anyone who has or is currently doing geography able to give me a summary or describe what I should expect if I were to do the A level?

Is it considered 'hard'?
Is it stressful?
Do you enjoy it?
Do you find it interesting and fun?
I understand that all A levels will deliver stress and tears, but is it an A level worth doing if you have no intention of going to uni reading geography?
Megaman101
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I’ve just finished year 13 and I got an A in geography and now I’m going to study it at uni. Geography was much easier than biology and chemistry for me and I really enjoyed it, yes it can be content heavy in some areas but it is mainly learning a few good key points as it is all essay based. The coursework was very manageable and I mainly completed it in frees and although we went to swanage bay for the field trip it was one of best field trips as we just ended up having a massive laugh. Overall I would 100% recommend geography, what are you looking to pair it with?
chloe 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Megaman101)
I’ve just finished year 13 and I got an A in geography and now I’m going to study it at uni. Geography was much easier than biology and chemistry for me and I really enjoyed it, yes it can be content heavy in some areas but it is mainly learning a few good key points as it is all essay based. The coursework was very manageable and I mainly completed it in frees and although we went to swanage bay for the field trip it was one of best field trips as we just ended up having a massive laugh. Overall I would 100% recommend geography, what are you looking to pair it with?
Hi I am planning on taking the same a levels as you would you reccomend and do they go well together
emily_03
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Megaman101)
Hi! I was going to pair it will English Literature and Fine art, two choices that are firm and decided
Megaman101
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chloe 11)
Hi I am planning on taking the same a levels as you would you reccomend and do they go well together
Yeh they were perfectly paired.
Biology and chemistry obviously pair very well together and Chemistry even helped in elements of geography, particularly when you do the carbon cycle as there is chemistry and even biology involved. However this depends on your geography spec, but I’m very pleased with this trio of subjects as it also gives you many options at uni!
?Hannah?
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
i have just finished year 13 and studied bio, chem and geography. personally, i found geog the hardest and didn’t enjoy it due to the fact that the specification wasn’t very specific. we always had to go beyond the textbook and i wasn’t ever entirely sure what i was supposed to learn - this may have just been due to my teaching though. i achieved an A grade in the end so it is doable but takes a lot of time. the time management in exams can also be challenging as there’s a lot of writing and you have to be quite concise as they don’t give too much space either. obviously i am very happy with my A grade, but would probably have chosen to study psychology if i could go back purely as i know i would have enjoyed it more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
32.5%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (13)
32.5%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
5%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
5%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
7.5%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.5%

Watched Threads