Student6910
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Will I be able to study for a computer science degree in university if I study a btec in information technology and a level maths? Or would I have to study A level Maths , Physics and computer science to be able to study the computer science degree?
CalculatorFX83
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Student6910)
Will I be able to study for a computer science degree in university if I study a btec in information technology and a level maths? Or would I have to study A level Maths , Physics and computer science to be able to study the computer science degree?
Greetings Student6910,

For Computer Science, I would highly recommend doing some research on the universities that are currently available in your area or around the country (depending where are you from) and paid close attention to the entry requirements to see what they would like from prospective students. I assume that you have a good standard of Maths, which will be very useful for Computer Science.

Last year, a friend of mine did a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Information Technology and got a strong profile of D*D*D* (Triple Grade Distinction*) and he went to Ulster University to do Computer Science. Not all universities require applicants to do A-Level Maths alongside BTEC Level 3 IT. Some universities will gladly accept you with just BTEC Level 3 IT alone, simply because BTECs are technical based qualifications and they offer a substantial level of practical content for students. As I said before, A-Level Maths would be very useful for Computer Science degree because there's a lot of programming involved and Computer Science students often take a class/module called Discrete Mathematics, where they will be looking at truth tables, matrices, sequences and series, linear programming etc.

If you don't want to study a BTEC Level 3 IT alongside A-Level Maths, you can always opt for three A-Levels (Maths, Physics and Computer Science). A-Levels tend to give you a variety of choices when it comes to choosing the correct university for your Computer Science. I don't really know if you're a big fan of going into some of the most prestigious universities in the UK and in the world to study for your degree but please take some time to explore your options before making a final decision.

I hope that I have answered your questions correctly.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Student6910)
Depends which uni as they all have their own requirements plus you will also need the grades.
On the basis you do the BTEC and A level Maths and then get top grades. most unis and CS courses will be open to you. Its the maths they like. You will have to check your target unis.

This is for Manchester

Pearson BTEC qualifications
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma

We consider the National Extended Diploma for entry provided it is in IT or Engineering with grades DDM in combination with a grade A* in A level Mathematics.

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma

We consider the National Diploma for entry provided it is in IT or Engineering with grades DD in combination with a grade A* in A level Mathematics.

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma

We consider the National Foundation Diploma for entry in any subject provided it is in combination with two A levels including Mathematics. Entry requirements are based on achievement of the full National Foundation Diploma with grade M plus two A levels at grades A*A including A* in Mathematics.

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate

We consider the National Extended Certificate for entry in any subject provided it is in combination with two GCE A levels including Mathematics. Our A level entry requirements are grades A*AA including A* in mathematics and the full National Extended Certificate can be used to replace one of the other two A levels.
Student6910
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by CalculatorFX83)
Greetings Student6910,

For Computer Science, I would highly recommend doing some research on the universities that are currently available in your area or around the country (depending where are you from) and paid close attention to the entry requirements to see what they would like from prospective students. I assume that you have a good standard of Maths, which will be very useful for Computer Science.

Last year, a friend of mine did a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Information Technology and got a strong profile of D*D*D* (Triple Grade Distinction*) and he went to Ulster University to do Computer Science. Not all universities require applicants to do A-Level Maths alongside BTEC Level 3 IT. Some universities will gladly accept you with just BTEC Level 3 IT alone, simply because BTECs are technical based qualifications and they offer a substantial level of practical content for students. As I said before, A-Level Maths would be very useful for Computer Science degree because there's a lot of programming involved and Computer Science students often take a class/module called Discrete Mathematics, where they will be looking at truth tables, matrices, sequences and series, linear programming etc.

If you don't want to study a BTEC Level 3 IT alongside A-Level Maths, you can always opt for three A-Levels (Maths, Physics and Computer Science). A-Levels tend to give you a variety of choices when it comes to choosing the correct university for your Computer Science. I don't really know if you're a big fan of going into some of the most prestigious universities in the UK and in the world to study for your degree but please take some time to explore your options before making a final decision.

I hope that I have answered your questions correctly.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (32)
31.68%
No - I have already returned home (10)
9.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
22.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.93%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
28.71%

Watched Threads