The Student Room Group

Anonymity at tsr

So I've been noticing a lot of the tsr ppl r just exposing others who post anonymously. I think they r anonymous for a reason and u shouldn't b exposing them.

Scroll to see replies

Where has this been happening?
Not to say that it hasn't been occurring, just exposing anon users is not something I've seen.

What I have seen however, is people misusing anonymous posting clearly troll posts, and also occasionally anon users replying to their own posts, pretending to be someone else.
Both of these are often met with incredulity by the users.
However, exposing as such I have not seen.

What do you mean by exposing?
Original post by Zoha Q
So I've been noticing a lot of the tsr ppl r just exposing others who post anonymously. I think they r anonymous for a reason and u shouldn't b exposing them.

Some of the threads are just about insignificant things though, where there’s nothing to be gained from being anonymous
Original post by chocolate_fan
Where has this been happening?
Not to say that it hasn't been occurring, just exposing anon users is not something I've seen.

What I have seen however, is people misusing anonymous posting clearly troll posts, and also occasionally anon users replying to their own posts, pretending to be someone else.
Both of these are often met with incredulity by the users.
However, exposing as such I have not seen.

What do you mean by exposing?

I mean they reveal their actual usernames
Original post by laurawatt
Some of the threads are just about insignificant things though, where there’s nothing to be gained from being anonymous

Yhh true
Original post by Zoha Q

Exposing who is under anon is against TSR rules, so if you see this happening then please report the post and the moderation team will take the necessary action.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Exposing who is under anon is against TSR rules, so if you see this happening then please report the post and the moderation team will take the necessary action.

Okayyy
Original post by 999tigger
Oooh yes you with your 3 posts. Troll on.

Wdym??
Original post by Zoha Q
Wdym??

I dont believe I have seen anyone who exposes real names, so care to point us to where this has been? If you see something against the rules then feel free to report it, just as if anyone sees you breaching the rules, then you will get flagged as well.
Original post by 999tigger
I dont believe I have seen anyone who exposes real names, so care to point us to where this has been? If you see something against the rules then feel free to report it, just as if anyone sees you breaching the rules, then you will get flagged as well.

Okay i will report them thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Zoha Q

I get the feeling you're talking about me... :tongue:
Original post by ANM775
I get the feeling you're talking about me... :tongue:

Oh no not u i promise!
It was one of the helper type ppl. Idk what theyre called.
Original post by Zoha Q
Oh no not u i promise!

One of the forum helpers?
Original post by 5hyl33n
One of the forum helpers?

Yehh
Original post by Zoha Q
Oh no not u i promise!
That's interesting because Forum Helpers are not able to identify users behind the anonymous function. So they aren't able to tell who is using anonymous on any particular thread. :smile: As DrawTheLine said above, report any examples you see and they will be dealt with appropriately. :yep:
Original post by 04MR17
That's interesting because Forum Helpers are not able to identify users behind the anonymous function. So they aren't able to tell who is using anonymous on any particular thread. :smile: As DrawTheLine said above, report any examples you see and they will be dealt with appropriately. :yep:

Ohhh. Okayyyy!!!
Original post by username5385802

There was an anon thread made a couple of days ago and the anon user PMd me thinking I wouldn’t know who they were.

So some anon users bring it upon themselves.
I can understand why people want to use anon for relationship problems/problems that may cause them embarassment.

However nine times out of ten, (or even ten times out of ten), comments made by anon towards me are upsetting. I do try and report these comments.
I've not seen anyone ''outing'' an anon user for sometime. A long time ago, users were de-anon'd for breaking the rules :devil:

Abuse of the anon function has generally reached epidemic proportions. It hasn't helped that the site staff have blurred the lines by allowing anon posting in the universities section. I've placed the anon account onto my ignore list to help my sanity :yep:

For the benefit of others - would it be possible to add a short clarification to the "post anonymously" check box? Something like 'post anonymously [only to be used for sensitive content]'? That's a very small change that might get newer users to think before using it - there are a lot of general questions that get asked through anon, as well as rule breaking content.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I can understand why people want to use anon for relationship problems/problems that may cause them embarassment.

However nine times out of ten, (or even ten times out of ten), comments made by anon towards me are upsetting. I do try and report these comments.

dw Oxford Mum, tag me in and I will sort them out :boxing::shoot:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending