The Student Room Group

Reference choices

I'm applying for psychology and due to my gap year, have been working for a clinical psychologist in a paediatric psychology team at my local hospital for the last few months. I'm thinking of asking her to write my reference for UCAS, as she would be more than happy to do it, but I already have one from my form tutor at school. Which one would be better to use with my application? My form tutor shows how I am as a student as he has taught me for years, but the one from the psychologist could show my interest in psychology more? I'm not sure which one would look better to unis.Thanks for any help!
Original post by clara.t
I'm applying for psychology and due to my gap year, have been working for a clinical psychologist in a paediatric psychology team at my local hospital for the last few months. I'm thinking of asking her to write my reference for UCAS, as she would be more than happy to do it, but I already have one from my form tutor at school. Which one would be better to use with my application? My form tutor shows how I am as a student as he has taught me for years, but the one from the psychologist could show my interest in psychology more? I'm not sure which one would look better to unis.Thanks for any help!

I doubt it makes a great deal of difference.
References dont normally make an application, as long as its complimentary towards you then it will be fine.

The thing with references is everyone's says how wonderful the person is, so it doesn't do a lot unless it says something else.
It must be an academic reference - they must be able to comment on your academic potential for University. This is not the same as an employer's reference.

And, if you use someone else, any Uni would immediately want to know why you had not used your school and get a bit suspicious that you were trying to hide something.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
It must be an academic reference - they must be able to comment on your academic potential for University. This is not the same as an employer's reference.

And, if you use someone else, any Uni would immediately want to know why you had not used your school and get a bit suspicious that you were trying to hide something.

Good to know, thank you. The UCAS website does say that you can use an employers reference but if the unis don't see it as the same thing then that makes a big difference.

Thanks!
Original post by clara.t
Good to know, thank you. The UCAS website does say that you can use an employers reference but if the unis don't see it as the same thing then that makes a big difference.

Thanks!

The unis wont care, most references are glowing. Unis only take a second look at the reference if its bad.
Original post by clara.t
The UCAS website does say that you can use an employers reference

This is really for mature applicants and others who may not have access to an academic referee who knows them well enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending