davidsmith007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m 18 and turning 19 next year I just finished a level 3 apprenticeship but I now feel like I want to go back to college and do my a levels is this possible? I only did one year of a level and then chose to do the apprenticeship but now I want to do different a levels.
Last edited by davidsmith007; 4 weeks ago
SouthBridge24
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by davidsmith007)
I’m 18 and turning 19 next year I just finished a level 3 apprenticeship but I now feel like I want to go back to college and do my a levels is this possible? I only did one year of a level and then chose to do the apprenticeship but now I want to do different a levels.
Yes it is definitely possible to go back and take a levels, just be aware it may cost you some money to take the exams and for teaching costs. I was just looking at prices for some GCSE and A-Level exams earlier today actually and they aren't too dear tbh... A-Level Maths from AQA was only £116 for 2020.
davidsmith007
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SouthBridge24)
Yes it is definitely possible to go back and take a levels, just be aware it may cost you some money to take the exams and for teaching costs. I was just looking at prices for some GCSE and A-Level exams earlier today actually and they aren't too dear tbh... A-Level Maths from AQA was only £116 for 2020.
So I can still do the two years I just have to pay for the second year or how does it work ?
SouthBridge24
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So I can still do the two years I just have to pay for the second year or how does it work ?
It really depends, you'd need to contact your local educational establishment who could give clear guidance on it. But you'd need to go to an adult teaching place probably and idk if you'd necessarily have to take the full 2 years or not, maybe there would be an accelerated route you could take to get it done in just one year but your best of asking your local college or whoever can provide you with the A-Level teaching you require. I feel you would possibly be able to get away without paying for this year if you start soon as I believe the government announced additional funding to support a one-year level 2/3 programmes for 18-19 year olds so an A-Level would be covered here.
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Level 3 is equivalent to A levels. The only reason to go and do A levels would be to go to university and study a none relevant course to your existing experience.

I did a level 3 apprenticeship with a friend, I went into a level 4 apprenticeship studying at uni part time, and he went to uni full time.

You can do a level 4 apprenticeship in a none relevant subject to your existing experience. They’re designed to teach you from absolute zero.
alhabib
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi I'm new here can any one help me finding a scholarship abroad plz
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there - hoping I can offer some advice.

There's a few things to think about with your question...

1. A levels are a level 3 qualification, your first level 3 is funded for you up to the age of 24/25. As you have achieved a level 3 through an apprenticeship this could mean you are not eligible for additional funding for a level 3 and therefore may need to fund this yourself.

2. Your age could play a part in this as well, many sixth forms and colleges that offer A-levels are 16-18 schools and colleges. Once you turn 19 you are classed as an adult learner. If you can enrol for A-levels now at 18 a college or sixth form might be willing to allow you to continue but you would need to speak with them about this.

3. Once you turn 19 you can do something called an Access to Higher Education course, this is a course designed for adults without the right qualifications for university or higher education qualifications to enable them to progress. This could be eligible for funding through an Advanced Learner Loan to support you with the costs.

My advice would be to speak with local colleges or sixth forms you would like to study at to fully explore your options with them so you know exactly where you stand in terms of funding or if you would need to wait till you're 19 and do an Access course.

I hope this helps, please do let us know if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks - Sophie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (85)
21.57%
No (309)
78.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed