should i make notes? a level maths, chem, physics, furthermaths?

Watch
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
ok so im confused abt whether i should make note.s I'm going into year 12 in September.
for GCSEs, I made no notes and that was fine.
but for a-level do you think I should make notes? id say my memory is quite good in terms of remembering things i highlight- i just highlight and annote my textbook and somehow i just remember it.

what do you guys recommend? i don't wanna regret not taking notes but is it possible getting great grades without making notes?
whitedwarf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i did a-levels in maths, chemistry and physics

i didn't make notes but i made flashcards which i used throughout sixth form to review what i had learned in chemistry and physics
then i would do past papers and make more flashcards on things i didn't get right

for maths, i wrote all the formulas i needed to remember on a sticky note and attached it to the case of my calculator
then i just did a llloot of past papers and the more i used the formulas, they stuck in my head - so i didn't need to make any effort to remember them

useful resources:
physicsandmathstutor (they have past papers for all your a-level choices)
chemrevise (they have amazing revision notes with example calculation question which are v v v useful)
examsolutions (video maths solutions for any complicated maths problems you come across)
Gerrard88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m going into year 13, I’m studying maths and physics (and psychology).

For maths I’ve not made notes, however I have made example answers that are very clear and I’ve highlighted the key points. Basically they’re kinda like notes, but not really.

For physics I don’t even make notes tbh. At gcse I found that making notes never helped. All I do is do a sh*t ton of exam questions. Ofcourse I write down the content we need to know, but besides that, I don’t do anything else.
CallmeShoba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes <3, I do A Level maths and though yes, having a good memory is great, but having handwritten notes to go back through when panicking or just to fall back on is even better.
CallmeShoba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CallmeShoba)
Yes <3, I do A Level maths and though yes, having a good memory is great, but having handwritten notes to go back through when panicking or just to fall back on is even better.
Upon review, it is possible to get good grade without taking notes. Highlighting textbooks and practicing questions are great ways to remember, but notes are just one of the best 'when all else fails' options you can have, plus who knows better what points are best remembered by you than you.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
ok so im confused abt whether i should make note.s I'm going into year 12 in September.
for GCSEs, I made no notes and that was fine.
but for a-level do you think I should make notes? id say my memory is quite good in terms of remembering things i highlight- i just highlight and annote my textbook and somehow i just remember it.

what do you guys recommend? i don't wanna regret not taking notes but is it possible getting great grades without making notes?
I expect my students to make some notes in class of the key learning and any examples we work through together. How they do it is up to them but I try to emphasise links across topics.
maniali123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think as you go in higher grades , note taking becomes essential. so.... it's a good technique to take notes in A-levels
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I did maths, chem and physics (and bio) and I took notes. My maths notes were just the example questions my teachers would go through in the lesson. But my physics and chem notes were the content included in the lessons as well as many example questions. I used my notes to make revision resources (mind maps, flashcards) but didn't use them for anything else so I could've gotten away with making fewer notes but I would definitely recommend that you write down any example questions your teachers go through.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads