University of Southampton - hard to get into

Watch
Kayleighx02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is the University of Southampton hard to get into? I’m doing Biology and acting at A-level with extra UCAS points from a previous college. I would love to attend Southampton for adult nursing or at least foundation science, but are my chances slim?
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kayleighx02)
Is the University of Southampton hard to get into? I’m doing Biology and acting at A-level with extra UCAS points from a previous college. I would love to attend Southampton for adult nursing or at least foundation science, but are my chances slim?
Generally Southampton requires 3 A levels or the equivalent qualifications. They are not one of those universities that uses a points based system so unless the "extra UCAS points" is the equivalent of an A level at least grade B then I would say your chances are not great. However if I were you I would contact the admissions team there for clarification. Also have a look at this - https://cdn.southampton.ac.uk/assets...663.1571672345
art_psych
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got into a course that required AAB with an A*AC which is equivalent to the AAB in UCAS points. However, I believe the reason they decided to accept me anyways was because of my additional A in EPQ. Southampton says they don't look at UCAS points however I think you should be fine if your grades dont differ so greatly from the original offer.

If you get an AAD for an AAB course, you won't get in.
A*AC for an AAB course might give you a small chance of being accepted despite not fully meeting the original offer.
oliviamkc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would say contact admissions for whatever degree you wish to take at Southampton. As they will be able to advise you - idk what your additional ucas points are.

BUT, I will use my degree page as an example:

A “typical offer”
Name:  94A32AB2-0962-4FE0-BC46-072E8B3FF6C3.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  142.6 KB
so, ok aab - abb.
there is no info about points, as yes Southampton does it on grades (& not points).

but they do realise that people do have prior learning (& I don’t myself knkw whst is counted in this but you may wanna check!) sidenote; it seems the screenshot doesn’t want to embed in text so is under attached files. But “other ways to qualify”.

at the end of the degree page, there should be, a “got a question?” Which will point you to the enquires team who should be able to help you wrt your qualifications.
Name:  28CA797D-989E-42E5-8985-CBB574E074C6.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  76.6 KB

as for the difficulty - it really depends. there is no massively hard and fast answer. depends, on how many people apply to your course? Ik people who have dropped (and I have myself) a grade in one subject and maybe increased in another. nothing too drastic unless you have extenuating circumstances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (77)
21.63%
No (279)
78.37%

Watched Threads