The Student Room Group
i dont know sorry
Have you checked to see what bike shed facilities the hall has?
Reply 3
I would think you would store the bicycle somewhere else like the bike rack / garage instead of actually in your room, it would take up too much space and be dirty.
Original post by Gillzy
does the average room in halls have enough space for me to store my bike? as id rather it not get stolen or anything.

They have bike sheds. get a good lock and insurance.
Reply 5
they have a bike rack outside. buy a chain :yy:
No not really, where i lived people used to tie their bikes to the rails by the rubbish bins. I had a housemate who hammered in some joists into the wooden beams of his ceiling and suspended his bike there but i wouldnt really recommend that :wink:
Original post by Gillzy
does the average room in halls have enough space for me to store my bike? as id rather it not get stolen or anything.

Hi @Gillzy,

It will really depend on the university and the type of accommodation. However, at Lancaster, we have bike sheds outside the accommodation blocks, which have locks on them, and there are bike racks all over campus. My room last year would have had room for a bike, but it wouldn't have been appropriate to put it there as there are special places provided!

There is sometimes quite a big cycling community at university (though dependent on the uni), so it might be worth having a look specifically at the university you're interested in and seeing if there is anyone on social media who can give you help with where to put your bike at that university.

Maria :smile:
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
My hall buildings / rooms wouldn't have fit a bike in, however there were dedicated bike sheds near the accom (you could request a key, small charge) and shelters with railings you could lock one to dotted around the major areas.
Even if they did, I doubt they would allow you to bring it into the building (fire escape risks if you left it in a hallway, damage to walls etc)
There are usually bike sheds for bikes (and big warnings about not leaving them locked anywhere else).
Only if you remove the elephant you foolishly brought back after that epic night out during freshers.
In any shared space I've lived in bikes are or have become a big inconsiderate nono. Bulky, dirty & smelly. Then you get the ****s who start collecting the damn things, or let their friends bring their bikes. :rolleyes:
Original post by Gillzy

Hiya! It will really differ to each university but at Portsmouth all halls have bicycle storage such as outside Unite Student properties there are bike racks which students could use with a chain to secure their bikes. However, my house mate decided to put his bike in his room. It will depend on the size of your room when you get to uni but there will be lots of safe options available for you as you won't be alone in taking your bike to uni. In Portsmouth there are more than 1,500 cycle hoops and racks across the campus and also cycle cages available where you can show your student ID to enter and store your bike. Sam- official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
No not really, where i lived people used to tie their bikes to the rails by the rubbish bins. I had a housemate who hammered in some joists into the wooden beams of his ceiling and suspended his bike there but i wouldnt really recommend that :wink:

How did that work out with the deposit? :wink:
probably not ... i don't know about your uni but mine a) won't let you keep it in your room and b) has bike racks outside
Original post by Ramipril
How did that work out with the deposit? :wink:

I think he got it back in full because I dont think they checked the roof beams :lol:
He was a cyclist racer person so his bike was one of those really light ones, not that I'm encouraging this of course :colondollar:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hiya! It will really differ to each university but at Portsmouth all halls have bicycle storage such as outside Unite Student properties there are bike racks which students could use with a chain to secure their bikes. However, my house mate decided to put his bike in his room. It will depend on the size of your room when you get to uni but there will be lots of safe options available for you as you won't be alone in taking your bike to uni. In Portsmouth there are more than 1,500 cycle hoops and racks across the campus and also cycle cages available where you can show your student ID to enter and store your bike. Sam- official Student Rep :smile:

Every time I want my bike I have to go to reception, show my id and wait for them to open it? lol
Most have bike sheds. I'm not sure that your fellow flatmates would want someone wheeling a bike through the flat to their bedroom even if their was the space in a room.

Latest

Trending

Trending