(eu student) I have a question about the driving license (and the license check code)

Watch
AudreyR
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I finally received my provisional license to drive, and I thought I could finally start getting driving classes.

I was about to pay for some classes but then I found out the instructor also asks for a "licence check code".

I go to this page: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence but to look at it, it asks me for my national insurance number. I don't have one. (I do have a EU student loan, also a pre-settled status as well, in case that might help)

I send an email to the driving instructor so he could maybe explain it to me, and he was kinda useless and just repeating that if I don't have this he can't teach me. But couldn't even tell me other ways to have a license check code apart than that online way.

when applying I didn't put a national insurance number because, well, I don't have any (as far as know) and it wasn't necessary either.

So now I'm just utterly confused.
Would I need one as well if I were to pass the tests? but then it wouldn't be correlated to my provisional license since I never added it in the forms I send back in july (along with my EU passport, which I just received back a week or so ago)

I tried to apply once back in october for the insurance number but the lady on the phone just told me if I wasn't working already why was I wasting her time calling, and it really threw me off to ask again (although I want one before brexit)

but yeh, I'm like, really confused at this situation
to say the least

no one around me is in the same situation, so I really don't know where else to ask (and it's so hard to get a hold of DVLA by phone, it took me a whole morning to even get into the waiting line/call just to ask about my passport)
Last edited by AudreyR; 4 months ago
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AudreyR)
So I finally received my provisional license to drive, and I thought I could finally start getting driving classes.

I was about to pay for some classes but then I found out the instructor also asks for a "licence check code".

I go to this page: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence but to look at it, it asks me for my national insurance number. I don't have one. (I do have a EU student loan, also a pre-settled status as well, in case that might help)

I send an email to the driving instructor so he could maybe explain it to me, and he was kinda useless and just repeating that if I don't have this he can't teach me. But couldn't even tell me other ways to have a license check code apart than that online way.

when applying I didn't put a national insurance number because, well, I don't have any (as far as know) and it wasn't necessary either.

So now I'm just utterly confused.
Would I need one as well if I were to pass the tests? but then it wouldn't be correlated to my provisional license since I never added it in the forms I send back in july (along with my EU passport, which I just received back a week or so ago)

I tried to apply once back in october for the insurance number but the lady on the phone just told me if I wasn't working already why was I wasting her time calling, and it really threw me off to ask again (although I want one before brexit)

but yeh, I'm like, really confused at this situation
to say the least

no one around me is in the same situation, so I really don't know where else to ask (and it's so hard to get a hold of DVLA by phone, it took me a whole morning to even get into the waiting line/call just to ask about my passport)
Find a different instructor...
AudreyR
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDE)
Find a different instructor...
i might, but it doesn't really explain if that NI is a must to pass the exams as well (but then why accept my provisional license application if I didn't had any for starters, makes close to no sense to me)
TheDE
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AudreyR)
i might, but it doesn't really explain if that NI is a must to pass the exams as well (but then why accept my provisional license application if I didn't had any for starters, makes close to no sense to me)
It is because the exam and test are only supposed to be available for people with indefinite leave to remain in the UK, aka naturalized citizens, EU/EEA residents and those that have successfully applied for citizenship. Having an NI number is a way to ensure that, however you can still apply for a licence before this has been granted.
Don L Gates
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A licence check code may be requested by an employer perhaps, as they can then see whether you have any endorsements or penalty points on your licence.

You do NOT need to show anyone a licence check code however to begin driving lessons, if you have a provisional licence, that is the only thing you need to show your driving instructor. I have no idea why this person asked for it, but don't worry you can book lessons with plenty of other driving schools and all you need to do is show them your provisional.

Regards
Don L Gates
UK Driving Skills
TheDE
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yeah as above get a new instructor, it isn't necessary as generally speaking those who are asking for lessons have not been driving therefore have no licence issues. One hopes it wasn't being said as a deterrent for you taking lessons with them.
AudreyR
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDE)
Yeah as above get a new instructor, it isn't necessary as generally speaking those who are asking for lessons have not been driving therefore have no licence issues. One hopes it wasn't being said as a deterrent for you taking lessons with them.
Hopefully not??
Like, I was planning on paying for 15 classes up front, in one go.
Why would they not want my money especially now that people are struggling finantially?

We haven't met face to face or talked yet, so the pre-judgement would be quite unjustified imo? (then again this is north wales, people have proven to be quite against foreigners at least where I live, which is sad as we are in a student town. One would expect better...it made foreigners stick tightly to themselves and have an overall bad view of the country as well)

I sent him an additional email telling him I got that license check and asked him if there was something else I should know in advance (supposedly not, but now I'm weary)
AudreyR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Don L Gates)
A licence check code may be requested by an employer perhaps, as they can then see whether you have any endorsements or penalty points on your licence.

You do NOT need to show anyone a licence check code however to begin driving lessons, if you have a provisional licence, that is the only thing you need to show your driving instructor. I have no idea why this person asked for it, but don't worry you can book lessons with plenty of other driving schools and all you need to do is show them your provisional.

Regards
Don L Gates
UK Driving Skills
thanks for explaining!

I managed to find an additional way to do the license check

I probably could find somehwere else, but this instructor is like 7 minutes by foot from my house and the prices are decent (the packs at least), so unless he still has something to say (hopefully not), I'll give him another chance

the other instructors are in other cities/towns so the closer the better (otherwise what I save in packs will end up being wasted by the bus trip, which are still affected by the coronavirus)

but again thank you for explaining the situation to me.
I was really confused and getting frustrated at the whole situation (given how useless the instructor itself was being in term of helping out, which does worry me a bit in his quality of instructions....but I still have to start somewhere)
TheDE
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I can't say I've ever heard of an instructor asking for these
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (357)
56.13%
I don't have everything I need (279)
43.87%

Watched Threads