username4793362
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Okay so i got 80% on an a level specimen chemistry paper, and i´m curious as to why it was so low considering i get 90´s on normal past papers, are specimen past papers harder than actual papers?
Last edited by username4793362; 2 months ago
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by john87647)
Okay so i got 80% on an a level specimen chemistry paper, and i´m curious as to why it was so low considering i get 90´s on normal past papers, are specimen past papers harder than actual papers?
Which spec?
username4793362
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
Which spec?
OCR A
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
OCR A
There are a couple of Qs which cover material on the old spec which is not on the new one and a few Qs are nowhere near as well written as current Qs and the MS isn't good enough in places.

Essentially, the specimen papers were written by one person without the checks and balances that real papers have - a whole team of people check, double check, review, refine, check some more.

The difficulty of the specimen Qs isn't intrinsically harder, it is just that real questions are written in a way that can make them easier to understand what you have to do to get the marks.
username4793362
Rep:
?
There are a couple of Qs which cover material on the old spec which is not on the new one and a few Qs are nowhere near as well written as current Qs and the MS isn't good enough in places.

Essentially, the specimen papers were written by one person without the checks and balances that real papers have - a whole team of people check, double check, review, refine, check some more.

The difficulty of the specimen Qs isn't intrinsically harder, it is just that real questions are written in a way that can make them easier to understand what you have to do to get the marks.
Ahhh yeah, makes sense, if I was to mark the paper by grade boundaries id look at the 2018 grade boundaries right? I got an A atleast lol
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ahhh yeah, makes sense, if I was to mark the paper by grade boundaries id look at the 2018 grade boundaries right? I got an A atleast lol
I wouldn't worry about trying to assign a grade to your work, just go over your mistakes and learn from them.
username4793362
Rep:
?
I wouldn't worry about trying to assign a grade to your work, just go over your mistakes and learn from them.
It gives me satisfaction ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (642)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads