Ali-liyyah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey guys! Hope you’re all good. I’m currently taking A level English Literature and we can either do our coursework on a poetry anthology or two books (plays or novels).

I’m doing mine on Sense and Sensibility and Little Women and my question is to what extent does status and wealth have an impact on marriage. Can anyone help me please? I’m struggling on forming my argument and actually writing my response. Also, how long should it be, and does anyone have any context and literary criticism for either novel?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance x
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I did Sense and Sensibility last year for my coursework, with The Great Gatsby! I did Edexcel, which board are you?

To work out what your argument is, I'd start by going through both books to find moments and quotes which could be discussed. I think the question is whether you only focus on material wealth, or whether you also discuss wealth in terms of intelligence, health, morals and general personal assets. That way, you could perhaps start off with a paragraph about material wealth, then maybe have one on the immorality of money or something, and about marriage in regards to moral wealth (if that makes sense?). The trick with coursework is to have a broad initial approach to your theme, and then to narrow down on your argument by introducing different evidence such as quotes, context and critics.

Critics: look on JSTOR and Google scholar, I'll try to find my bibliography for you

Length: if you're doing Edexcel it should be 3000 words including the title but not including citations. If not, I don't know.
Ali-liyyah
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
I did Sense and Sensibility last year for my coursework, with The Great Gatsby! I did Edexcel, which board are you?

To work out what your argument is, I'd start by going through both books to find moments and quotes which could be discussed. I think the question is whether you only focus on material wealth, or whether you also discuss wealth in terms of intelligence, health, morals and general personal assets. That way, you could perhaps start off with a paragraph about material wealth, then maybe have one on the immorality of money or something, and about marriage in regards to moral wealth (if that makes sense?). The trick with coursework is to have a broad initial approach to your theme, and then to narrow down on your argument by introducing different evidence such as quotes, context and critics.

Critics: look on JSTOR and Google scholar, I'll try to find my bibliography for you

Length: if you're doing Edexcel it should be 3000 words including the title but not including citations. If not, I don't know.
Thanks so much! This was really helpful. I’m not really sure how to set out my argument in my introduction paragraph. I’m doing AQA btw x
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Ali-liyyah)
Thanks so much! This was really helpful. I’m not really sure how to set out my argument in my introduction paragraph. I’m doing AQA btw x
I found it helpful to use a critical quote that related to my overall arguement (rather than to a specific book) for the start, and then to discuss that in the introduction.

E.g.

"Romantic literature presents the duality of human nature.' - oversimplified example quote by me.
Throughout both novels, romance not only exposes the positive potentials of each character, but also the negative. Where Austen highlights the positive power of the balanced, mind, she also accentuates the force of selfish desire. Similarly, Jeff presents the humble glory of love against the inevitable yet evil lust...(I'd then mention how the books are different from one another in their interpretations.)

On AQA you'll have a slightly different syllabus to me, but definitely aim to introduce all the assessment adjectives in your intro of you can. I have comparison, critical perspective, the basis of my future arguement etc, so for me this works well, even if this example doesn't present any good arguements!
Ali-liyyah
Rep:
?
Thanks so much for your help! This was really useful x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (57)
29.84%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.09%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.62%

Watched Threads