Rhys_M
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Here is a question from the Oxford OCR student book about couples and torques:

Figure 4 shows a rod of length 50cm with a disc of radius 10cm fixed at its centre. Two forces, both 30N, are applied normal to the rod at each end. Calculate the torque produced by the pair of 30N forces, and then the minimum tension in the rope that would prevent the disc from rotating.

So the book's step-by-step answer starts with torque = fd, but they substitute in 30N x 0.25m = 7.5Nm for the torque answer.
However, the equation for torque is one of the forces x perpendicular distance between them.
So shouldn't it be 30N x 0.5m = 15Nm (because the rod is 50cm long)?

Thanks for any replies
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Rhys_M)
Here is a question from the Oxford OCR student book about couples and torques:

Figure 4 shows a rod of length 50cm with a disc of radius 10cm fixed at its centre. Two forces, both 30N, are applied normal to the rod at each end. Calculate the torque produced by the pair of 30N forces, and then the minimum tension in the rope that would prevent the disc from rotating.

So the book's step-by-step answer starts with torque = fd, but they substitute in 30N x 0.25m = 7.5Nm for the torque answer.
However, the equation for torque is one of the forces x perpendicular distance between them.
So shouldn't it be 30N x 0.5m = 15Nm (because the rod is 50cm long)?

Thanks for any replies
It certainly should be as you say, but is there anything else going on here in the diagram referred to that might have a bearing this? What is that 'disc'? And what about the 'rope'? It would help to see the complete question.
Rhys_M
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stonebridge)
It certainly should be as you say, but is there anything else going on here in the diagram referred to that might have a bearing this? What is that 'disc'? And what about the 'rope'? It would help to see the complete question.
Name:  90927DB7-B2DB-4573-8F62-EBAB9AC78FDD.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  115.4 KBHere is the full question - the highlighted bit.
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Rhys_M
Most odd.
The teaching notes clearly state the correct formula, Fd, where d is the perpendicular distance between the parallel forces, and then go on to incorrectly use that in the calculation.
It should indeed be 30 x 0.5 Nm (or 30x0.25 + 30x0.25Nm)
There is no doubt about it.
In the second part, they correctly state that the torque produced by the 2 forces must be balanced by the torque produced by the rope.
And the torque from the rope is correctly stated as T x 0.1 Nm
0.1m is used because the 'couple' in this case (the couple from the rope which opposes the other couple) is created by the force from the rope, and an equal but opposite force of T acting at the pivot. The distance between these 2 is 10cm. There must be a second force acting with the force T from the rope to create a couple.
However, the teaching note seems to have missed this point altogether.
I'm not very impressed with this learning material.
Repost if you need further help with this.
Rhys_M
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise