Seemab1230000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, what should you do during uni to increase chances of being accepted into a big 4?
opportunities to take, extra curricular, things to do, anything would help?
Thanks.
TrynaMakeIt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey,

I'm an accounting professional ( graduated university with an LLB in 2017 and went into accounting)

My first piece of advise is seriously consider applying to their school leavers programmes. They are a lot easier to get onto, and you end up qualifying fully in 3-4 years. Doing an accounting and finance degree will only get you some exemptions, and you will then need 3 years work experience to fulfil the portfolio element to becoming chartered. So please, SERIOUSLY consider trying to join the big 4 now!

If your heart is set on attending university, then that is fine also. Try your best to keep an eye on any summer/winter schemes they are running and keep your grades high to give yourself the best chance at securing these.

@ Uni, join a society you are passionate about (can be anything!) and become the treasurer. This means you account for the monies that the society has, and its a great way to get your skills up and looks very good. Also consider doing some bookkeeping during the summer/winter, lots of small businesses would be happy to take you on!

Have fun whatever you decide to do, best of luck!
Seemab1230000
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks for the reply.

That is some very valuable advice. Do you have any advice for what to do while at uni to increase my chances of gaining a leadership or managerial role?

Thanks
FARAATC
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Seemab1230000)
Hi, what should you do during uni to increase chances of being accepted into a big 4?
opportunities to take, extra curricular, things to do, anything would help?
Thanks.
By the sounds of it you havent started apllying yet and are looking to build up your CV with some good experience? I think to get through the first few stages of the application process the recruitment literally perform a tick box excerise on your application, have they show teamwork skills, shown work under pressure and a some other things. you can be the best in the world at one area but if you done tick all the boxes you dont go through. so first just give a good example of each competency. At uni show how you worked well in a team; how you led a group to succes; when youve performed something technical, just tick the boxes. 2 key things you have to nail on the partner interview is why this firm, & why this role. can provide stuff for that if u want. then group excerise at the A/C speak up alot, and have a plan literally going in to ask someone in the group who isnt speaking much whats their thoughts + never cut off someone. (they love that) THats basically it. (Im 2nd year Corporate tax at a big 4)
FARAATC
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TrynaMakeIt)
Hey,

I'm an accounting professional ( graduated university with an LLB in 2017 and went into accounting)

My first piece of advise is seriously consider applying to their school leavers programmes. They are a lot easier to get onto, and you end up qualifying fully in 3-4 years. Doing an accounting and finance degree will only get you some exemptions, and you will then need 3 years work experience to fulfil the portfolio element to becoming chartered. So please, SERIOUSLY consider trying to join the big 4 now!

If your heart is set on attending university, then that is fine also. Try your best to keep an eye on any summer/winter schemes they are running and keep your grades high to give yourself the best chance at securing these.

@ Uni, join a society you are passionate about (can be anything!) and become the treasurer. This means you account for the monies that the society has, and its a great way to get your skills up and looks very good. Also consider doing some bookkeeping during the summer/winter, lots of small businesses would be happy to take you on!

Have fun whatever you decide to do, best of luck!
100% agree with the school leavers programs / apprenticships people have no idea how amazing they are. we have Link 360 scheme at KPMG, Agree with spring weeks, internships, however i wouldnt bother with the bookkeeping stuff focus on the recruitment process technique. Theres way better more exciting examples of stuff youve done that you can mention, yh i wouldnt waste your time on that plus youll hate it and its nothing like the real job whatsoever
Seemab1230000
Rep:
?
(Original post by FARAATC)
By the sounds of it you havent started apllying yet and are looking to build up your CV with some good experience? I think to get through the first few stages of the application process the recruitment literally perform a tick box excerise on your application, have they show teamwork skills, shown work under pressure and a some other things. you can be the best in the world at one area but if you done tick all the boxes you dont go through. so first just give a good example of each competency. At uni show how you worked well in a team; how you led a group to succes; when youve performed something technical, just tick the boxes. 2 key things you have to nail on the partner interview is why this firm, & why this role. can provide stuff for that if u want. then group excerise at the A/C speak up alot, and have a plan literally going in to ask someone in the group who isnt speaking much whats their thoughts + never cut off someone. (they love that) THats basically it. (Im 2nd year Corporate tax at a big 4)
you're right, I'm starting uni in September and was researching what to do while at uni to put a plan together.

Do you think it matters what kind of experience it is to tick the competency box? or can it be any kind of experience, surely some are greater than others?
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (0)
0%
Less motivated (0)
0%

Watched Threads