Turn on thread page Beta

becoming a private tutor watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is this possible at the age of 17?

What are the requirements and process of becoming a private tutor (part time job)? Or is it not realistic..

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone keep talking about private tutors?! I'd never even heard of people having them to compliment the teaching they get in schools! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Why does everyone keep talking about private tutors?! I'd never even heard of people having them to compliment the teaching they get in schools! :confused:
    Some people need more extra help, to get the grades they want.

ReputationRep:
    What subjects do you do?
    Do you live in/near Hants?
    I want to get specific grades....

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think you might be qualified to tutor? It does require knowledge and skills that you would be unlikely to have at 17. If you were to try it, you'd have to find employment privately and not charge too much. What age group or subjects would are you considering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Schitt)

What are the requirements and process of becoming a private tutor (part time job)? Or is it not realistic..
    Here's what happened with me, one of the younger students asked a teacher if she could tutor him but she had a very busy schedule so she recommenced me, pretty soon I had three students (and got quite a lot of money actually) but obviously I had to go and talk to the teachers and ask them what topics they were doing and had to study quite a bit to remember everything...
    So maybe if you talk to one of the teachers they can recommend you...

ReputationRep:
    i started teaching dance and drama at the age of 14 to young childen and i bin working at a summer camp for ages teaching the same. when i was 17, a girl doing GCSE drama needed help with her coursework and i tutored her for ages as her english wasnt too good. i think if you feel you are really knowledgable about a certain subject then yeh go for it!! but before u do get someone to sit down and ask you the what ifs. What if your student asked u such and such - what would u say? what would you do if he just wasnt getting it? stuff like that and also test yourself as much as you can on teh subject you want to teach. You need to have good people skills and be comfortable with young people who want to learn. sometimes there is a tendancy to go off topic with someone you are teaching who is similar in age and you end up chatin about something completely academic unrelated!!! so test yourself first and when you feel completely confident go for it!!

good luck and hope you can help people gain the grades they want!

love ladyshort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Schitt)

theres opportunities to do it at uni.. I go to durham and had the opp to tutor in a subject I had taken for a level. all i had to do was fill in one of those police check forms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    What subjects do you do?
    Do you live in/near Hants?
    I want to get specific grades....
    hmm.. i might fit those criteria.

though, TBH i probably wouldn't have time to tutor anyone until the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

If anyone's still watching this thread... I've just listed myself on www.examinspiration.com, I'll let you know the outcome.

Adrian

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.