The Student Room Group

BTEC level 3 Applied science vs health and social care

So I want to go to uni to either study biomedical science or human bioscience. But it says I need a science BTEC which would would obviously be applied science. But I really want to do health and social. I don’t know what to do, could I have some help please? Also what degrees can I do in university to become a physician assistant in dermatology?
Original post by zoentow33
So I want to go to uni to either study biomedical science or human bioscience. But it says I need a science BTEC which would would obviously be applied science. But I really want to do health and social. I don’t know what to do, could I have some help please? Also what degrees can I do in university to become a physician assistant in dermatology?

Maybe a possible pathway is if you do health and social care btec then apply for biomed/biosciences with foundation at a university to get the extra science requirements to progress to year 1 of the degree.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2

Do both? What other A level/ btecs are you doing?
Don't do biomedical science sorry to crush your dreams but it's not worth the degree especially since its too saturated in the jobs market and also you would need a Ph.D. to even get better pay. I know you're doing the course for money so don't lie to yourself I'm being honest here I've finished 1st year with the first term with passes but the second with no passes as I decided to change career paths. I now owe £12,000 also the lockdown has now caused some universities to go online which can hinder your experience but since its 1st year, it shouldn't matter that much. But all well, I'm warning you because you are going to be in debt and I regret going to university pointless. By all means, do health social care easier than the BTEC science course as I've done that and the workload is too much I came out with DDM with D*D* first year but the second year was terrible. To be honest just get a job and forget university it's not worth your 3 years of your life. Save money, invest in property, buy a house, all by 22 years old and you won't have regrets.
Reply 4
Original post by JMercedes
Maybe a possible pathway is if you do health and social care btec then apply for biomed/biosciences with foundation at a university to get the extra science requirements to progress to year 1 of the degree.

Thankyou for your help, I have decided to take on applied science level 3 :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by La_ipg

I’m doing level 3 extended diploma in applied science :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by stoopid4123
Don't do biomedical science sorry to crush your dreams but it's not worth the degree especially since its too saturated in the jobs market and also you would need a Ph.D. to even get better pay. I know you're doing the course for money so don't lie to yourself I'm being honest here I've finished 1st year with the first term with passes but the second with no passes as I decided to change career paths. I now owe £12,000 also the lockdown has now caused some universities to go online which can hinder your experience but since its 1st year, it shouldn't matter that much. But all well, I'm warning you because you are going to be in debt and I regret going to university pointless. By all means, do health social care easier than the BTEC science course as I've done that and the workload is too much I came out with DDM with D*D* first year but the second year was terrible. To be honest just get a job and forget university it's not worth your 3 years of your life. Save money, invest in property, buy a house, all by 22 years old and you won't have regrets.

Oh! Well I still have a dream of becoming a doctor, please don’t assume I’m doing it for the money, I’m not, I’m truly passionate about it. I chose level 3 applied science.
Reply 7
I’m doing level 3 extended diploma in applied science :smile:

How are you finding it ?
Reply 8
Original post by La_ipg
How are you finding it ?

I really love it, I have a mock in December so I’m starting my revision now. It’s going to be on unit 1 :smile: thanks for asking
Reply 9
Oh! Well I still have a dream of becoming a doctor, please don’t assume I’m doing it for the money, I’m not, I’m truly passionate about it. I chose level 3 applied science.

Me too, I do level 3 applied science and WILL become a Doctor, and I pray u do too😊
Reply 10
Original post by La_ipg

I chose applied science and I’m loving it 😊
Reply 11
Original post by stoopid4123

Thanks for the advice, but please don’t assume I’m doing it for money, because that was never the case, but I am now studying applied science level 3 and I’m loving it, have a nice day😊

Hey, I am a biomedical science student at London met uni.

The entry requirements for the course are a minimum of 112 points from 3 A levels including a C in Biology or Human Biology and at least one other science subject from Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, or Psychology, or a minimum of 112 UCAS points from an equivalent Level 3 qualification. the BTEC subject is not specified.

However, if for any reason you cannot meet these requirements you can join the biomedical science course that has a foundation year included. the entry requirements for that course is at least one A level (or a minimum of 32 UCAS points from an equivalent Level 3 qualification, eg BTEC Subsidiary/National/BTEC Extended Diploma), English Language and Mathematics GCSEs at grade C (grade 4) or above (or equivalent eg Functional Skills at Level 2). If you meet the UCAS points criteria but have obtained a D (grade 3) in English and/or Maths at GCSE you may be offered a University test in these areas.

At London met, the Biomed course is accredited which is great if you want to work for the NHS after your degree. It has a 95% overall student satisfaction and personally, I think the course is of high quality. I did a foundation year and have just entered the first year of the Biomed course. I have to say that the level of support is great and the uni has a very friendly community. if you would like more info about the course I definitely suggest visiting the course webpage.

Regarding your question about what degrees you would need to do to become a physicians associate, according to the NHS website they say you’ll usually need a bioscience-related first degree to get onto one of the training programmes available. A biomedical science degree will make you stand out when applying for jobs as it shows you are willing to go and study and look for knowledge. coming out with a good class at the end will boost you up the career ladder and you will find yourself getting jobs that are well paid.

If you have any more questions please do ask! I hope this helps.
Hiya, I actually do both at college alongside English Language and I con honestly say that both are pretty good enjoyable courses but I strongly recommend Health and social just because it’s less content heavy and is much less time consuming revision/coursework wise :smile: hope this helps
Reply 14
Original post by La_ipg
How are you finding it ?

Good thanks, I’m now in second year of applied science, had unit 5 exams today, few more months then off to study biomedical science or pharmacy at uni! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending