Report Thread starter 1 month ago
???
what difference would it make
BrDy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
interest free overdraft up to a certain limit, often banks offer incentives when you get a student account, e.g. free railcard, vouchers or even just cash. There are a few more perks I think in terms of leniency. You don't need one, but it doesn't hurt you to get one
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Need, no. Any bank account is fine
Benefits: overdraft (if you are short on money you can go into overdraft and don't need to pay any interest back), additionally most offer some perk (free rail card, money etc.) so its worth opening one just for that, even if you dont use it
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No.
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Need, no. Any bank account is fine
Benefits: overdraft (if you are short on money you can go into overdraft and don't need to pay any interest back), additionally most offer some perk (free rail card, money etc.) so its worth opening one just for that, even if you dont use it
i’m on overdraft control
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Moonlight rain)
i’m on overdraft control
Well you get the extra 1000 (normally the amount you get) in case you need the money- something may come up and you are short
Plus as I said, may as well open it for the perks
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't need a student bank account but it can be helpful to have at least one, along with a credit card.
Can be good for managing cash flow, budgeting, establishing a small monthly savings habit and access to credit in case of emergency expenses.

Many student accounts come with access to a guaranteed interest free overdraft.
Plus free gifts like a 12 month amazon prime student membership, 4 year railcard, totem card or a year's subscription to Perlego online access to textbooks & some study materials.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
You don't need a student bank account but it can be helpful to have at least one, along with a credit card.
Can be good for managing cash flow, budgeting, establishing a small monthly savings habit and access to credit in case of emergency expenses.

Many student accounts come with access to a guaranteed interest free overdraft.
Plus free gifts like a 12 month amazon prime student membership, 4 year railcard, totem card or a year's subscription to Perlego online access to textbooks & some study materials.
Got a question here too. I guess I wouldn't get any perks because I'm Postgraduate student and too old. The thing is, I need a bank account double quick so I could sign a job contract on Wednesday. Do you think that a Passport and a proof of adress in the UK would be enough?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Got a question here too. I guess I wouldn't get any perks because I'm Postgraduate student and too old. The thing is, I need a bank account double quick so I could sign a job contract on Wednesday. Do you think that a Passport and a proof of adress in the UK would be enough?
Yes, passport and proof of address should be fine.
There can be same day account opening service when you have been on the electoral roll for at least two months.
I've been able to get new bank accounts opened within 4 hours a few times; with natwest (account number & sort code), metro issued the account info plus debit card, cheque book and online banking in under 2 hours.
Sometimes older postgrads are eligible for perks, my friend was 34.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads