Kate113
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So i’m starting my first year of a-levels on tuesday! I’m doing French, Digital technology and Religious studies, and was wondering if anyone has any tips for how to do really well or recommendations on things I need to have for these subjects to be as prepared as possible! Thankyou❤️
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Kate113)
So i’m starting my first year of a-levels on tuesday! I’m doing French, Digital technology and Religious studies, and was wondering if anyone has any tips for how to do really well or recommendations on things I need to have for these subjects to be as prepared as possible! Thankyou❤️
I did French A-level, it was great fun.

My recommendation for French is to talk as much as possible in your free time in French. If you're not already, try to make friends with some of your classmates and set up times where you can meet to chat in French outside of lesson time.

There's also a book that my school recommended when I did French A-level, and I used it at university as well. It's called Mot À Mot, it's basically a book of vocabulary / phrases that's not specific to any exam board, but it's split up into topics that frequently come up when studying languages (the environment, media, drugs, etc.). For each topic, it has some bolded words and phrases, to indicate that they're the sort of thing that's especially good vocab and will sound extra good in essays and oral exams. It's not too expensive, I don't think, and I got a lot of use out of it.

Another recommendation for French is to have some way of separating the different 'parts' of the learning. So for example, I had my main folder where I stored all my class notes, and it was mainly focused on what we'd learned about different topics and the activities we'd done. Then, I had a notebook which I only used for grammar exercises, and a flashcard set that was just for vocabulary.

Have fun next week!
Kate113
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I did French A-level, it was great fun.

My recommendation for French is to talk as much as possible in your free time in French. If you're not already, try to make friends with some of your classmates and set up times where you can meet to chat in French outside of lesson time.

There's also a book that my school recommended when I did French A-level, and I used it at university as well. It's called Mot À Mot, it's basically a book of vocabulary / phrases that's not specific to any exam board, but it's split up into topics that frequently come up when studying languages (the environment, media, drugs, etc.). For each topic, it has some bolded words and phrases, to indicate that they're the sort of thing that's especially good vocab and will sound extra good in essays and oral exams. It's not too expensive, I don't think, and I got a lot of use out of it.

Another recommendation for French is to have some way of separating the different 'parts' of the learning. So for example, I had my main folder where I stored all my class notes, and it was mainly focused on what we'd learned about different topics and the activities we'd done. Then, I had a notebook which I only used for grammar exercises, and a flashcard set that was just for vocabulary.

Have fun next week!
Thankyou so much! Going to have a look for that book and hopefully it will help me improve my french skills!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No (115)
69.7%

Watched Threads