Sine.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Yo! I’d like to know anyone’s opinion on the A levels I’m thinking of taking. I’m generally staying away from STEM subjects as I don’t think I’d do well in them, however I’m considering taking a few as a fourth subject and dropping it/ another A level if it becomes too difficult/ bearable.

In addition I’d like to know how difficult A level maths is in your opinion, I’m was average in GCSE math and bio, could I theoretically just work hard and achieve a B minimum in A levels for said subjects?

For some context my relevant GCSE grades
-English lit/Lang 7,6
-Comb Sciences 7,6
-Maths 7
-Geography 8
-Business 8u
-PE 8

1. Econ, psychology, IT, maths (dropping maths if it were too hard/ dropping psy or IT if maths was bearable)

2. business, geography, maths, IT/psychology (again dropping maths if it were unsuitable otherwise dropping the latter subject.

3. Business, geography, bio (swapping out bio for psychology or IT were things not to go my way)

What’s the difference in how much respect econ is given in comparison to business? As econ is more favourable than business, however the subjects paired with it are less ‘suitable’ in that I may probably drop maths and my options become limited.

Or do I pick business routes (acknowledging that it’s regarded lower than econ) but I can then pick geography (facilitating subject + I’m a lot less likely to drop + I think I would do well)
amingo26
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
First of all, A-level maths is a step up. I got an A* in maths GCSE and found A-Level maths hard. You need to be able and willing to put a lot of time into this subject. I feel if you were an 'average' GCSE maths student you may struggle, especially if you not 100% committed.

In the end it is up to you. You haven't actually said what your goal is or where you want to end up. But thinking about that, you should choose subjects that will help you get but also ones you will enjoy learning. With A-Levels, I found that you will get out what you put in.
bored_user:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I got a 6 in GCSE Maths and an A* in A level Maths, so it is bearable if you put in the work!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.25%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.31%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.06%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.17%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (35)
10.42%
Financial worries (24)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.46%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.12%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.44%

Watched Threads