The Student Room Group

How useful are cgp gcse revision books?

Im aiming for a grade 9 in chem and bio this year(gcses 2021) people are saying writing notes is not worth it but im not sure where i will get the information i need to know from.Does the triple science gcse cgp books have all the information i need and is that all i need to make my revision cards from?? i am really confused please help
They cover all the everything you need and as long as you read the notes thoroughly and do past papers regularly you can achieve a grade 9 no problem. Also I have like 40 cgp revision guides/flashcards that are in really good condition if you want them for cheap

Personally making revision cards are a waste of time unless that's the only way you can learn
Original post by AishaA11
Im aiming for a grade 9 in chem and bio this year(gcses 2021) people are saying writing notes is not worth it but im not sure where i will get the information i need to know from.Does the triple science gcse cgp books have all the information i need and is that all i need to make my revision cards from?? i am really confused please help

I've finished year 11 this year and got 9s in chem & bio - I had the CGP revision guides and the AQA grade 8-9 targeted exam practice questions book. The practice question books are your best friend, they have answers in the back and show you where you get each mark which is super helpful for the higher mark questions. The revision guides are useful to make summary cards on, and I used them loads, but if you don't think they'd work for you don't worry about it. They don't have every little bit of info you need in them, but I found mine extremely helpful in making summary mindmaps/flashcards and they're good for key words and explaining things simply.
Your exam board specification on the website is really good - it's literally a list of everything you need to know. It doesn't explain it (use websites/youtube/teachers for that) but it's a big list of all the points you need to know. It gets quite specific which is good considering the mark schemes are so picky. Another thing that helps with the picky mark schemes is doing practice papers/questions then using the mark scheme and seeing the words or points you got wrong.
So yes, use the revision guides to make your flashcards or whatever but also your own notes, youtube vids if you want, anything you find useful really.

This is more general advice that's a bit related sorry lol for writing so much
In an exam you might be shocked maybe there's a question about fish gills and you've never been taught fish gills, it wasn't in the revision guide and it wasn't on the specification. GCSE sciences nowadays really love to focus on application, which is something that the CGP guide can't really teach you. You have to make a link in your head that fish gills are used for breathing, how are they like lungs? Could that link with the question? What do you know about animal cells etc - all stuff you have learnt, just applied. My teacher always said being able to apply the knowledge you've learnt to unknown contexts is what gets you the top grades.

Sorry I've made this so long lol but basically yes, the CGP guides are helpful for learning the content in a simple and easy to remember format, they have jokes and diagrams and little helpful memorising things which all helps you learn the content. 2 students could both know the exact same content but one could get a 6 and the other a 9. The difference between a 6 and a 9 is probably being able to apply it, knowing the mark scheme and exam technique rather than actually knowing the stuff, if that makes any sense at all? Hopefully that's helpful in some way, I know I could've done such a shorter answer but that's more general help for GCSEs too! Hopefully it helps a bit :smile:
I used em and got 9s In all three sciences, they're good and I liked the answers in the back that showed each mark point but I would use it along with Seneca to fill in any gaps in knowledge,make sure you are using Seneca or at least try it because it was my most useful revision tool BY FAR, also I don't remember making any revision cards for GCSE because the amount of content is miniscule compared to a level lol
(edited 3 years ago)
I think its a question of personal taste really and how you learn, i always found the jokes in them supremely irritating and the books not detailed enough. I prefered these ones but some people find them harder to read and less memorable.
Reply 5
Original post by jellycatrain
I've finished year 11 this year and got 9s in chem & bio - I had the CGP revision guides and the AQA grade 8-9 targeted exam practice questions book. The practice question books are your best friend, they have answers in the back and show you where you get each mark which is super helpful for the higher mark questions. The revision guides are useful to make summary cards on, and I used them loads, but if you don't think they'd work for you don't worry about it. They don't have every little bit of info you need in them, but I found mine extremely helpful in making summary mindmaps/flashcards and they're good for key words and explaining things simply.
Your exam board specification on the website is really good - it's literally a list of everything you need to know. It doesn't explain it (use websites/youtube/teachers for that) but it's a big list of all the points you need to know. It gets quite specific which is good considering the mark schemes are so picky. Another thing that helps with the picky mark schemes is doing practice papers/questions then using the mark scheme and seeing the words or points you got wrong.
So yes, use the revision guides to make your flashcards or whatever but also your own notes, youtube vids if you want, anything you find useful really.

This is more general advice that's a bit related sorry lol for writing so much
In an exam you might be shocked maybe there's a question about fish gills and you've never been taught fish gills, it wasn't in the revision guide and it wasn't on the specification. GCSE sciences nowadays really love to focus on application, which is something that the CGP guide can't really teach you. You have to make a link in your head that fish gills are used for breathing, how are they like lungs? Could that link with the question? What do you know about animal cells etc - all stuff you have learnt, just applied. My teacher always said being able to apply the knowledge you've learnt to unknown contexts is what gets you the top grades.

Sorry I've made this so long lol but basically yes, the CGP guides are helpful for learning the content in a simple and easy to remember format, they have jokes and diagrams and little helpful memorising things which all helps you learn the content. 2 students could both know the exact same content but one could get a 6 and the other a 9. The difference between a 6 and a 9 is probably being able to apply it, knowing the mark scheme and exam technique rather than actually knowing the stuff, if that makes any sense at all? Hopefully that's helpful in some way, I know I could've done such a shorter answer but that's more general help for GCSEs too! Hopefully it helps a bit :smile:

Thank you so much this was very useful!!
just wondering when did you start making revision cards also when you say your own notes what do you mean because I don’t have any notes only school books with class work in them?
Original post by AishaA11
Thank you so much this was very useful!!
just wondering when did you start making revision cards also when you say your own notes what do you mean because I don’t have any notes only school books with class work in them?

I can't actually remember that well lol but I started properly revising for each set of mocks about 6weeks in advance? You want to keep on top of things from the start - doing your homework, going and seeing your teacher if you don't understand. I made mindmaps as summaries at the end of a topic so you're not making your resources in May when practising is more useful. I also did flashcards for the things I knew I found hard to remember or understand. Then when it came round to mocks I could spend that time making blank mindmaps and filling them from memory, doing tests etc to find what I don't know and work on that and practice exam technique. So don't go crazy at the start spending ages making stuff but do keep on top of it a little at a time. I obviously never did my real exams but my plan was to revise everything actually for my gcses pretty much when we left about february/march time.

For my notes I just mean my mindmaps/flashcards that I've using info from different places to make sure I've got it all on. I just mean like revision stuff really.
Another random thing for science is to know your required practicals really well - I put them step by step on flashcards because you'll get at least one 6 marker on a method for each paper and probably more. Just test yourself anywhere, in a journey, in the corridors, whatever - doesn't take up much of your time but gets it in your head
Little and often, but don't work yourself too hard too soon. Hope that helps - and sorry, for some reason I can't write short answers haha

Quick Reply

Latest