The Student Room Group

Can I get into Russel group unis (preferably oxbridge)

Hi I’m 16 years old and I just got my GCSEs and I’ve been told a lot that I might not get into unis that I want to. My aim is to go to a Russell group uni preferably oxbridge.

I got 4 7’s, 4 8’s and a 9.

I thought they were good enough but
my family has made me doubt it and I’d love some feedback on it.
Original post by JiyaPopat10
Hi I’m 16 years old and I just got my GCSEs and I’ve been told a lot that I might not get into unis that I want to. My aim is to go to a Russell group uni preferably oxbridge.

Which degree are you thinking of?

Probably depends on your background. If you went to an underperforming state school then those are great grades and you'll have a chance. If you go to a top private school then not so much.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Which degree are you thinking of?

Possibly law I’m not 100% sure though
Reply 4
Original post by I like bread
Probably depends on your background. If you went to an underperforming state school then those are great grades and you'll have a chance. If you go to a top private school then not so much.

I go to a good private school but I know my grades are better than a fair amount of my peers

Unis take a lot more into account than your GCSEs, particularly Oxbridge. Year 12 is a great time to do things that you can use to show unis interest in your subject - read books, listen to podcasts, watch documentaries, find work experience (if possible) and most importantly reflect on how each of these have helped you/sparked your interest. An EPQ is also great, and make sure to work hard at your A-levels too because unis mainly care about them. Your GCSE grades are good but will only form a small part of your application. Hope that makes sense - I'm not an expert just a Year 13 who has been told all of this

Uni's tend to look at A-levels more these will be fine for almost all uni's including many competitive ones.

Realistically for Oxbridge and select uni's & course combos (such as some medical schools) you may find your GCSEs are too low. But other then this you'll be fine.

Just focus on doing well at A-levels.
Possibly law I’m not 100% sure though

Probably a bit on the low side then especially as you say you are at a good Private school.
Different unis and different courses have different requirements, but I'm about to start a Cambridge and I got 9988887A6C. At the moment, at least, Oxrbridge count 8s and 9s equally, so it's more useful to look at it as if you got 5A* and 4 As (I got 6A*s, 2As, B, C thinking of it like that). Of course, for highly competitive subjects and for certain unis such as Oxford and LSE, GCSEs are worth more. But for less competitive high-ranking courses and for Cambridge, for instance, GCSEs are a smaller part of admissions. Law is very competitive, but there's nothing wrong with having an aspirational choice or two, a choice or two on Parr with your predicted grades, and a secure choice!

You got good grades and now it's time to focus on getting good A level predictions. Do extra reading etc for the course you want to do, write. Good personal statement and have a look at interview guidance. There's nothing stopping you getting into a very good uni, A level grades usually count far more than GCSE grades, and your GCSE grades are good!

Your GCSE results are potentially below average for Oxford, but I wouldn't let it stop you from applying (if you meet the entry requirements), if you like the (Jurisprudence) course. LNAT and A levels will carry more weight. Oxbridge is a "roll of the dice" application, so go for it, but make sure that you have other, good, options.
(edited 3 years ago)
is city, university of london and royal hollaway, university of london a russel group???

sorry if it irrevevent to your question. i just want to know since i don't know much
Original post by Keri00Summers
is city, university of london and royal hollaway, university of london a russel group???

sorry if it irrevevent to your question. i just want to know since i don't know much

Ummm, is Google broken???
Original post by ageshallnot
Ummm, is Google broken???

i used it - didn't answer my question so i'm asking here
Original post by Keri00Summers
i used it - didn't answer my question so i'm asking here

Well gosh. My Google search worked fine... 😁

https://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/
Original post by ageshallnot
Well gosh. My Google search worked fine... 😁

https://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/

thank you