The Student Room Group

'You're going to Cambridge - now what?': Advice from Team Peterhouse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chong Wa
Are there any good ways of keeping your bike in Cambridge outside of term time?

You can store it in College, as long as you register it with your Porters. The vast majority of students do this. Porters will help students register their bikes with them during the first few weeks of term, but it's possible to do it at any time - you just have to ask them.
Reply 141
I'm about to register to a GP near my college (Christ's) and was wondering which are the most reliable? I know there are quite a few around Cambridge, with Newnham Walk's city branch nearby, but apparently it's closed until further notice.
My daughter's college told her which one to register with
Original post by imxks
I'm about to register to a GP near my college (Christ's) and was wondering which are the most reliable? I know there are quite a few around Cambridge, with Newnham Walk's city branch nearby, but apparently it's closed until further notice.

I've found Bridge Street to be very good - their receptionists are super helpful. There are other options, but you'll need to check which ones your in catchment for (you will be fine for Bridge Street!)
I guess that this might vary from college to college, but have your offspring had info on how to pay for accomodation? Daughter, at Clare any day now, has had notification of the room cost and all sorts of info about paying for the bar/buttery (upay) but no info on how or when she pays for the room. It will be me paying as it is almost exactly the amount of the difference between her maintenance loan and the maximum she could have got.
Original post by ReadingMum
I guess that this might vary from college to college, but have your offspring had info on how to pay for accomodation? Daughter, at Clare any day now, has had notification of the room cost and all sorts of info about paying for the bar/buttery (upay) but no info on how or when she pays for the room. It will be me paying as it is almost exactly the amount of the difference between her maintenance loan and the maximum she could have got.

The college will issue an invoice for accommodation and sundries. The invoice will give details of how to pay through BACS or cheque, so you will be able to make the payment yourself should you wish.
Hi, fellow Clare parent with one year's experience here :smile:The invoice will be sent to your daughter sometime in October, including the Kitchen Fixed Charge or KFC, and should the first instalment of maintenance loan from Student Finance arrive later, your daughter can write an email to the college Bursar explaining the cause of delay. They'll understand. Better leave the payment to your daughter, with you transferring any shortfall to their account first, this is part of learning to be organised! She can also eat in the Buttery with upay and will only have to pay for this at the end of each term. The Buttery (which is in a good-looking marquee at the moment) will be open longer this year both for lunch and dinner, and will have to be pre-booked, time and menu, to avoid congestion.
Thanks - she moved in today and has managed to book her first meal. There seem to be lots of things going on over the weekend so she'll not need food again for a day or two.
Original post by alevelhelp2021
Please Allah let me study here

inshallah you will get there.
hi do u kno what textbooks are needed for chemistry

ty
Reply 150
Not sure this is the right thread to post on, parent here and new to the forum. My son has a deferred Cambridge offer for 2022. I am not sure he is going to get the necessary grades via TAGs (long story)

Will he have the chance to sit proper a levels in the autumn and they count for him to meet his offer?

Please advise
Reply 151
Original post by Tdo1
Not sure this is the right thread to post on, parent here and new to the forum. My son has a deferred Cambridge offer for 2022. I am not sure he is going to get the necessary grades via TAGs (long story)

Will he have the chance to sit proper a levels in the autumn and they count for him to meet his offer?

Please advise

@peterhouse admissions
Original post by Tdo1

Please advise

Hi there! The best thing he can do is to email his College and ask. I'm not aware of a University-wide decision on this and I suspect it will be up to individual colleges at this stage.
Reply 154
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi there! The best thing he can do is to email his College and ask. I'm not aware of a University-wide decision on this and I suspect it will be up to individual colleges at this stage.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest