The Student Room Group

Extremely indecisive about doing a masters degree

So, I've been debating whether to do a masters degree in scriptwriting but my mind is in complete shambles when I try and think about this.
So, my dad said to me that since the economy is in complete shambles right now due to Covid-19, I should look into doing a masters degree to fill up the time before I look for a job. I think this is a good point, but the more I look into doing it, the more I second guess myself. I've been reading on various places on the Internet, including this place that doing a masters degree is very time consuming and stressful, not only that but also that doing an ma in a course like scriptwriting or film isn't worth it. So my worry is that what if I spend all this time and stress doing something that's not going to mean much anyways? I know times ticking, but I've been pushing back my descion because off all these conflicting thoughts Covid 19 made things worse, and I would like to hear any advice from anyone who has done their masters degree or someone who has done an ma in screenwriting or film. What course of action do you think I should take? Thanks!
I'm also in the same predicament and was thinking the same reasons for going vs staying. I'd be doing an MA in music performance :frown:, and what I would get out of it is uncertain! I can't deny though that i'm certainly beginning to think that it is a better option then staying at home struggling to find a job in this covid-19 climate. Anyone with me on that one?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Stevethebob
So, I've been debating whether to do a masters degree in scriptwriting but my mind is in complete shambles when I try and think about this.
So, my dad said to me that since the economy is in complete shambles right now due to Covid-19, I should look into doing a masters degree to fill up the time before I look for a job. I think this is a good point, but the more I look into doing it, the more I second guess myself. I've been reading on various places on the Internet, including this place that doing a masters degree is very time consuming and stressful, not only that but also that doing an ma in a course like scriptwriting or film isn't worth it. So my worry is that what if I spend all this time and stress doing something that's not going to mean much anyways? I know times ticking, but I've been pushing back my descion because off all these conflicting thoughts Covid 19 made things worse, and I would like to hear any advice from anyone who has done their masters degree or someone who has done an ma in screenwriting or film. What course of action do you think I should take? Thanks!

Doing a Masters degree can be an extremely rewarding experience, and it does have many benefits. You gain new skills, get the opportunity to really develop an area that you're (hopefully) passionate about, and gain a qualification that can help you to stand out in a crowded job market. That said, a Masters is certainly not an easy route to take - as you've already identified, it is time-consuming and it can be very stressful as well as expensive. Completing a Masters course in any discipline requires dedication and passion.

It's very easy to dismiss courses in subjects that don't appear to directly relate to a job. However you'll probably find that a good MA course in Screenwriting and Film will not only develop your skills in writing but also in pitching and marketing your work. The course may also introduce you to to industry contacts, give you a better idea of the range of job opportunities available to you, and allow for you to undertake internships/placements within the industry. No degree course can guarantee you a job but a well-designed and reputable course should equip you with the skills to navigate a challenging job market, and help you to make the most of your passions and interests.

I returned to university to complete my MA in English Literature after 11 years in the workplace. I'm now doing my PhD and, for me, my Masters was definitely one of the best things I've ever done. It allowed me to develop as a researcher and become more confident in both defining and presenting my ideas. It also gave me a valuable insight into what life as a working academic is like, and helped me to confirm that I did want to pursue an academic career. I can't guarantee that my MA or my PhD will lead to an academic job - the job market is, as you say, extremely competitive. But I hope that the skills I have developed during my studies will stand me in good stead, and that my increased awareness of that job market will allow me to be more competitive within it. Plus, as says, there's a lot to be said for doing something you love - my PhD stipend is less than half of what I was earning in my previous job but it's enough to pay the bills and, whilst I miss the little luxuries I used to be able to treat myself to, I wouldn't go back for anything.

Ultimately only you can decide whether a Masters course is right for you. But if you're passionate about screenwriting and film, then you're almost certain to find the study emotionally rewarding, even if the financial rewards cannot be guaranteed.

Hope that helps!

Amy :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Keele University
Doing a Masters degree can be an extremely rewarding experience, and it does have many benefits. You gain new skills, get the opportunity to really develop an area that you're (hopefully) passionate about, and gain a qualification that can help you to stand out in a crowded job market. That said, a Masters is certainly not an easy route to take - as you've already identified, it is time-consuming and it can be very stressful as well as expensive. Completing a Masters course in any discipline requires dedication and passion.

It's very easy to dismiss courses in subjects that don't appear to directly relate to a job. However you'll probably find that a good MA course in Screenwriting and Film will not only develop your skills in writing but also in pitching and marketing your work. The course may also introduce you to to industry contacts, give you a better idea of the range of job opportunities available to you, and allow for you to undertake internships/placements within the industry. No degree course can guarantee you a job but a well-designed and reputable course should equip you with the skills to navigate a challenging job market, and help you to make the most of your passions and interests.

I returned to university to complete my MA in English Literature after 11 years in the workplace. I'm now doing my PhD and, for me, my Masters was definitely one of the best things I've ever done. It allowed me to develop as a researcher and become more confident in both defining and presenting my ideas. It also gave me a valuable insight into what life as a working academic is like, and helped me to confirm that I did want to pursue an academic career. I can't guarantee that my MA or my PhD will lead to an academic job - the job market is, as you say, extremely competitive. But I hope that the skills I have developed during my studies will stand me in good stead, and that my increased awareness of that job market will allow me to be more competitive within it. Plus, as @r.uh says, there's a lot to be said for doing something you love - my PhD stipend is less than half of what I was earning in my previous job but it's enough to pay the bills and, whilst I miss the little luxuries I used to be able to treat myself to, I wouldn't go back for anything.

Ultimately only you can decide whether a Masters course is right for you. But if you're passionate about screenwriting and film, then you're almost certain to find the study emotionally rewarding, even if the financial rewards cannot be guaranteed.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the advice Amy! How much free time do you get when doing your masters? Is it true that you have a less amount of free time compared to doing a ba? If I do my masters, I'm hoping to do it away from where I live since I commuted from home when I did my BA. I wanna know if you are still able to live that "student life"

Thanks!
I'm having the same dilemma, although I am committed to studying for a masters degree. My dilemma is whether to defer as this year is increasingly looking like it will be taught online and nothing about teaching in the coming year is guaranteed. Will I miss out on the uni experience and the benefits of being in a seminar from this format?
Thanks for the advice Amy! How much free time do you get when doing your masters? Is it true that you have a less amount of free time compared to doing a ba? If I do my masters, I'm hoping to do it away from where I live since I commuted from home when I did my BA. I wanna know if you are still able to live that "student life"

Thanks!

Not going to lie - in my experience, a full-time Masters doesn't leave you a huge amount of free time. Masters is a pretty intense year, especially when assignments are due and when you're working on your final project/dissertation, and I feel the level of input you're expected to give to assignments, tutorials, and seminars is higher than during a BA. You won't have as many contact hours (I had about 2.5 days on campus per week during Semesters One and Two, dropping to just the 1 day in Semester Three when I was writing my dissertation), but in order to do well you will need to spend a considerable amount of your remaining time reading, writing, and researching.

I worked part-time (roughly 10 - 15 hours a week) during my MA year so admittedly that did leave me with more limited 'free' time than some of my friends. That isn't to say I was a social hermit for my MA year - I got involved in plenty of activities on campus (coffee mornings, lunchtime events etc), joined a couple of societies, played a weekly D&D session, and took part in academic activities that would help support my PhD application (organising a student conference, editing on a student journal, conference attendance). I made lots of friends, and felt like I had a great support network and social life at university - but I was very busy! I also always took Sundays 'off' from both uni and work in order to give myself a day each week to spend entirely on doing fun stuff with family and friends, or on just vegging out and playing Playstation for the day! And I took a couple of holiday weeks during the year too when I didn't do anything at all related to university.

As a mature student with family commitments, I was probably less interested in living the traditional 'student life' than some people so the lack of partying didn't really bother me. That isn't to say you can't do that - I certainly had friends that did! But it's definitely a little more intense than BA. That said I do think with a bit of organisation it's possible to complete a Masters and continue to have a full social life and a well-rounded student experience.

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
To update you guys, I eventually decided to postpone doing my masters until next year since I kept second guessing myself with everything and not only that, I haven't been to any open days so I don't truly know what I am getting myself into. Looking back, I think this was probably the best decision, especially because of all the madness that's happening right now with students. Hope you guys are safe out there!
To update you guys, I eventually decided to postpone doing my masters until next year since I kept second guessing myself with everything and not only that, I haven't been to any open days so I don't truly know what I am getting myself into. Looking back, I think this was probably the best decision, especially because of all the madness that's happening right now with students. Hope you guys are safe out there!

Glad you were able to make a decision that was right for you - the possibility of doing a Masters never goes away so this is something you can return to next year or at a later date if you decide you're still interested in pursuing further study.

Keep an eye out for university postgraduate open days - many of them will be happening online this year I imagine, which is great for anyone who wants to investigate postgraduate study without the expense of travelling to lots of different campuses. At Keele, for example, you can find out more about our postgraduate open afternoons and sign up to attend at https://www.keele.ac.uk/discover/opendays/postgraduateopenafternoons/

Me too! Def best decision :smile:

Quick Reply