The Student Room Group

Aqa paper 2 question 4 help!!

Hi guys can you please read and respond to my answer by giving me a mark and some feedback. Thank you. It would be very helpful.

For this question, you need to refer to the whole of Source A, together with the whole of Source B.

Compare how the writers convey their different attitudes to the discovery they describe. In your answer, you could:
compare their different attitudes
compare the methods the writers use to convey their different attitudes
support your response with Quotes to both texts.

16 marks

Link to sources: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resourc...s-mly-11874202

My answer:

I source a Charles Darwin illustrates his discovery of the people as vile and a grotesque cult who looked down as inferiors. This is clearly shown through the wealth of descriptive language personifying them as "poor wretches" along with their "hideous faces" thus reflecting his shear curiosity towards the people. More specifically he is somewhat astounded by the inhumane lifestyle by these people and does this so that her can reflect how they are insignificant and how Darwin has a sense of authority towards them; they are a horrific cult with a horrendous lifestyle.

However, Howard carter is merely stunned by the find and so is somehow surprised when he finds out what is in the ancient tomb. This is clearly conveyed through the descriptive adjectives in the quote "two strung black ebony statues" and even a "golden inlaid throne". By doing this it illustrates his profound excitement towards the tomb and this is reinforced when his sensation were "astonished" thus highlighting has left him bewildered and feeling alien like emotion; they are somewhat indescribable and so hard to state.

Alternatively, Darwin once again criticises the Argentinian tribes vicious nature and ow they are somewhat indistinguishable from and animal. This is evidently portrayed by the metaphor "miserable creatures" and how they wore "otter skin". By connoting them as merely animals it reflects their animalistic nature and how Darwin is unwilling t even accept them as human: due to their vile attitude and their sadistic and savage traits they are starkly seen to be insignificant and unequal to Darwin.

Conversely, Howard carter is so thrilled by the astonishing find that he even questions it tangibility and whether it will benefit him or not. This is shown it the rhetorical question "was it merely a cache" thus underlining how this find has had such an effect on him that he is even solidifying whether it is real or not. Furthermore the noun "cache" illuminates his doubtfulness and if it will actually be worth something: he is so shocked by the find that he is looking for an alternate answer to therefore reflecting his incapability of being able to digest what has happened.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending