Can i join the british army with coeliac disease?

Watch
aviation.girl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I was recently diagnosed with coeliac disease. I didn't mind not being able to eat gluten, but what abselotely gutted me was that I was no longer eligible to join the RAF. I looked into joining the army and it seems more promising, does anyone have any info on this?
username5352678
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by aviation.girl)
I was recently diagnosed with coeliac disease. I didn't mind not being able to eat gluten, but what abselotely gutted me was that I was no longer eligible to join the RAF. I looked into joining the army and it seems more promising, does anyone have any info on this?
nope I dont think you can, I remember reading on coeliac.org
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by aviation.girl)
The rules will almost certainly be the same across all the services.
rachelpark_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Unfortunately not, on the British Army medical page they state that, “Food allergy requiring you to avoid some foods in your diet due to allergy or intolerance” would stop or prevent you from joining. It’s really disappointing when those with other special dietary requirements (ie. Vegetarian, Halal and Kosher) can be catered for. Hoping a change will be made to this soon!
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by rachelpark_)
Unfortunately not, on the British Army medical page they state that, “Food allergy requiring you to avoid some foods in your diet due to allergy or intolerance” would stop or prevent you from joining. It’s really disappointing when those with other special dietary requirements (ie. Vegetarian, Halal and Kosher) can be catered for. Hoping a change will be made to this soon!
The difference is that there's no guarantee special dietary requirements can be catered for, but eating something prepared under different conditions for those you've listed won't make someone ill and non-functioning, risking them, their colleagues, civilians and a massive amount of resources.

You join the Armed Forces as 'warfighter first, job second, so if you're not going to be able to cope with field conditions you're not eligible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (104)
40.47%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (59)
22.96%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
11.67%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise