boeuf
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey all, is anyone else thinking about applying to this course?
1) What draws you to Design Engineering specifically?
2) What other courses/unis are you applying to?
3) What did you get for your GCSEs?
4) What are you studying for A level/IB and what are your predicted?
5) What draws you to study at Imperial?
6) What supercurriculars do you do to strengthen your application?
7) Do you have any questions/ comments about the course?

Also, if anyone is currently studying it, please could you describe your experiences of the course! I'm very interested in the design aspect of it and am scared that the physics and maths will be too intense. Help would be very appreciated!!!

The official UCAS application thread for all unis and subjects can be found here.
Last edited by boeuf; 1 year ago
Goose!
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by boeuf)
What draws you to Design Engineering specifically?
What other courses are you applying for?
Also, if anyone is currently studying it, please could you describe your experiences of the course! I'm very interested in the design aspect of it and am scared that the physics and maths will be too intense. Help would be very appreciated!!!
Yep! I'm planning to apply.
I think the course looks really interesting and creative. I like the fact that it is mainly coursework assessed and so there's plenty of opportunity to apply the learning.
Also planning on applying to Cambridge (General Engineering) and a couple of Scottish Unis for EEE.

What about you?
boeuf
Rep:
(Original post by Goose!)
Yep! I'm planning to apply.
I think the course looks really interesting and creative. I like the fact that it is mainly coursework assessed and so there's plenty of opportunity to apply the learning.
Also planning on applying to Cambridge (General Engineering) and a couple of Scottish Unis for EEE.

What about you?
Yes, I really like the fact that it's so practical!
boeuf
Rep:
StrawberryDreams and Manooka: this is a subject-specific thread
boeuf
Rep:
(Original post by boeuf)
1) What draws you to Design Engineering specifically?
2) What other courses/unis are you applying to?
3) What did you get for your GCSEs?
4) What are you studying for A level/IB and what are your predicted?
5) What draws you to study at Imperial?
6) What supercurriculars do you do/have you done to strengthen your application?
7) What hobbies/passions/interests do you have?
8) Do you have any questions/ comments about the course?

The official UCAS application thread for all unis and subjects can be found here.
1) I really like the focus on the practicals, applications and design innovation in industry. Also hoping to work abroad for the placement!
2) Bristol, Bath, Loughbrough or Glasgow (product design) and UCL (Arts and Sciences)
3) 9999999998A*
4) IB HL Maths applied, Physics and Spanish, SL English literature, Philosophy and Computer Science with predicted 45 overall.
5) Renown for engineering, amazing facilities, beautiful location
6) Coding internship, EDT Headstart course, other STEM certificates
7) Making things, music, dance, photography, sewing
8) The design:engineering ratio? What kind of things do you study in Imperial's design?
Adishree03
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone got an interview yet?
boeuf
Rep:
I have
Beckygordon
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by boeuf)
I have
how was it? how long from applying did they take to get to you about it?
Leon Zhang
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It's the most relaxed interview you'd probably ever have. It's literally like a conversation, but of course with the typical questions that they need to ask you about the course and your personal statement, along with a maths question and a design-related question.
I submitted my UCAS around mid October and heard back around mid November.
Last edited by Leon Zhang; 1 year ago
boeuf
Rep:
(Original post by Beckygordon)
how was it? how long from applying did they take to get to you about it?
Mine is next week, I'm nervous!! I applied mid october and got the news two weeks ago
boeuf
Rep:
(Original post by Leon Zhang)
It's the most relaxed interview you'd probably ever have. It's literally like a conversation, but of course with the typical questions that they need to ask you about the course and your personal statement, along with a maths question and a design-related question.
I submitted my UCAS around mid October and heard back around mid November.
That sounds so good Who was yours with? Was the maths question hard and what subjects do u currently take? Also did you show anything for the project?
Leon Zhang
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by boeuf)
That sounds so good Who was yours with? Was the maths question hard and what subjects do u currently take? Also did you show anything for the project?
I currently take Maths, Physics and Economics. I took Further Maths for AS but then I dropped it at the beginning of this year.
My interviewer was Dr Eva Kirchberger.
The maths question was really easy. I think any GCSE student could have done it. Hopefully you get one as easy as well.
For the portfolio/example work at the end of the interview, I showed this independent project of this standing desk I made using CAD. It says it's not necessary but I feel like it would be a lot more beneficial to show something you've done that's exciting or that you're enthusiastic about.

Make sure that you're prepared and know how to answer typical design questions for the pre-interview exercise.
Labbern
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Anyone still waiting to hear about interviews?
iceberg113
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hey guys, had my interview exactly 3 weeks ago and waiting on any news. Anyone know how long they'll take to reply?
gund21
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Labbern)
Anyone still waiting to hear about interviews?
Yes, I applied on Nov-17. Still waiting. When did you apply?
boeuf
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by gund21)
Yes, I applied on Nov-17. Still waiting. When did you apply?
I applied mid-October and got offered an interview 3 weeks ago. I have it on Friday ahh!
gund21
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by boeuf)
I applied mid-October and got offered an interview 3 weeks ago. I have it on Friday ahh!
Oh wow!!! Best of luck.
hufieeiwhfihf
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I have an interview for 16th Jan!! After over a month of waiting
boeuf
Rep:
(Original post by hufieeiwhfihf)
I have an interview for 16th Jan!! After over a month of waiting
Congrats!!!
boeuf
Rep:
(Original post by gund21)
Oh wow!!! Best of luck.
Thank u
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.53%
Okay (62)
29.38%
A bit lacking (80)
37.91%
Not good at all (51)
24.17%

Watched Threads