The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering preparation/reading

I’m going to be studying chemical engineering at bath university in September. Was just wondering if there were any books I should purchase/ things I should do before starting the course. Is it worth buying a cheap Perry’s 8th edition, or will they be in the library/is only 9th worth it?
I just graduated from chemical & energy engineering from the university of leeds and if your uni is anything like mine the books you need will be in the library or available online through your university credentials.

I do recommend Coulson & Richardson (the different volumes are for different things). I mainly used volumes 1,2 and 6, but I found earlier editions of these online which were fine. If you need later editions, lecturers are usually specific about this.

One thing you’ll be doing throughout your degree is mass & energy balances, so I’d look up the basics of this and if there are any beginner resources online.

Make sure you have a scientific calculator that your university approves of.

Maybe find out what sort of software your uni uses and maybe do a beginner Coursera course on it, for me it was MATLAB or Aspen HYSYS. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:. Chem eng isn’t the easiest course out there and well done for getting in!

Original post by charlotte_ivy_
I’m going to be studying chemical engineering at bath university in September. Was just wondering if there were any books I should purchase/ things I should do before starting the course. Is it worth buying a cheap Perry’s 8th edition, or will they be in the library/is only 9th worth it?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TEMSfluence
I just graduated from chemical & energy engineering from the university of leeds and if your uni is anything like mine the books you need will be in the library or available online through your university credentials.

I do recommend Coulson & Richardson (the different volumes are for different things). I mainly used volumes 1,2 and 6, but I found earlier editions of these online which were fine. If you need later editions, lecturers are usually specific about this.

One thing you’ll be doing throughout your degree is mass & energy balances, so I’d look up the basics of this and if there are any beginner resources online.

Make sure you have a scientific calculator that your university approves of.

Maybe find out what sort of software your uni uses and maybe do a beginner Coursera course on it, for me it was MATLAB or Aspen HYSYS. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:. Chem eng isn’t the easiest course out there and well done for getting in!

I have a YouTube channel sort of dedicated to STEM stuff so do subscribe if you’re interested (I’m starting a masters in advanced chemical engineering at Imperial this October).

Thank you so much! I will definitely look Into maybe getting those books and will check out your channel! Thanks for the advise! It’s really helped me feel better about preparing for the course!

Quick Reply

Latest