Qway
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I’m going to go university for the first time and I was wondering like what’s the norm around there. Do you bring a bag with your laptop or just books or how does it work. Do you just sit there and listen to a lecture write some notes that’s it ? Do you even need a bag or a laptop?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Qway)
I’m going to go university for the first time and I was wondering like what’s the norm around there. Do you bring a bag with your laptop or just books or how does it work. Do you just sit there and listen to a lecture write some notes that’s it ? Do you even need a bag or a laptop?
Hey Qway!

Most students normally bring their bag with whatever they need for the day, something to take notes on whether that’s a laptop, iPad or a pen and notebook -it’s totally your preference

I normally listen to the lecture and make any extra notes that the lecturer says that isn’t on the slides and then later on when I get home I rewrite the lectures with the extra notes in my own words

good luck at uni!
Eloise - official student rep
Qway
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey Qway!

Most students normally bring their bag with whatever they need for the day, something to take notes on whether that’s a laptop, iPad or a pen and notebook -it’s totally your preference

I normally listen to the lecture and make any extra notes that the lecturer says that isn’t on the slides and then later on when I get home I rewrite the lectures with the extra notes in my own words

good luck at uni!
Thanks Eloise
So would I have access to the same slides and lectures at home? What is university like? Listen to lectures and get tested on our knowledge at the end of the term? There’d be no class work or no activities like we’d do in college / school.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Definitely flip flops if you are sharing a bathroom, even if you arent shoes you can just slide on like sliders are great for putting the bins out and stuff
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Qway)
Thanks Eloise
So would I have access to the same slides and lectures at home? What is university like? Listen to lectures and get tested on our knowledge at the end of the term? There’d be no class work or no activities like we’d do in college / school.
You should normally be able to access your slides beforehand - they’ll be uploaded to whatever site your uni uses such as moodle
In your lectures you’ll be taught the content that you need to know and you’ll have seminars or workshops exploring the topics further and going through case studies, it may also involve case studies. You’ll also get the opportunity to ask for help directly from the teacher if you have any specific questions (you can also do this at the end of a lecturer)

Depending on your uni course it will depend if you have lots of assignments such as essays to do or if your course is mostly exams after the first term and some at the end of the year.

You should carry out your own independent study exploring what you are taught in lectures further as this widens your understanding. You may also be asked to do some prep work for seminars and workshops!

I hope this helps!
Desideri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Qway)
Thanks Eloise
You normally have a mixture of lectures and seminars. Lectures are normally big groups of students (in some subjects even hundreds of people) listening to the lecturer speak. This semester I think that every university is doing them online.

Seminars are more like school classes, where you discuss things and might do some classwork or be set homework. You'll normally have some kind of reading or homework to do for each seminar. For some subjects you might also have labs or practicals, but I don't know much about these as my subject doesn't have them.

Each semester you'll be assessed. This might be by essays, coursework, exams or a mixture. Some modules have coursework that is due during the semester. Other modules are just assessed by exam at the end of the semester or year.
username5378306
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Depends on what you feel comfortable with, most bring a laptop and some write out notes via pen and paper in reality it’s what you feel is the easiest. One word of caution is their often their is not much room for laptops in normal times in lectures - as they get quite busy. Tutorials are more informal but require attendance. Some classes have seminars which are much smaller groups to lectures - which could have hundreds of students.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Qway)
Hi Qway

When I went to uni, I would usually bring a note book, pens and module handbooks and a water bottle. However, from what I have seen most students do bring their laptop into uni to make notes in lectures and seminars. It is completely up to you how you want to make notes and if you bring a laptop or not.

I used to make notes on the lecture handouts as this way I wasn't writing down everything the lecturer was saying. Everyone, has a different method of making notes once you start uni you will be able to see what works best for you.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Zaira
C106
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Qway)
I pack similar to when I was back at school. Notebooks, pencil case and my macbook. It depends on what course your doing with how much you need to take in. I would say definitely need a bag with notebook/Laptop in for notes. I'd also recommend a bottle of water would be a good idea too.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
Don't forget the most important part! Bring YOURSELF!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
23.04%
Unhappy (54)
28.27%
Conflicted (93)
48.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed