advice for first year law students- revision + prep

Watch this thread
burberry_butter
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiya,

I'm an incoming law student at SOAS. I need advice on how I can best prepare for my law degree; I know what modules I'll take. I'm really worried that when uni starts I won't be able to keep up as I have a part-time job with a 16 hour contract and really do not want to fall behind. I want to be as prepared as possible. I have a very short introduction to law book and a very short introduction to criminal justice book. Do you think I should make notes on my modules for first year? How do you take notes for law? Do you think I should do typed or handwritten? How should I take notes in class vs for revision? What are the structures of law exams like?

I want to feel really on it and feel confident about contributing in class as I know that that will help me focus; so I want to prepare as much as possible. My uni is also moving into a modular way of assessment so I know that I will need to be really on it.
Last edited by burberry_butter; 1 year ago
Arisapo
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Honestly, don’t worry about prereading or getting ahead with modules. It’s a completely new subject and you’ll just end up confusing yourself; they’ll teach you from scratch anyway so that’s worth noting. I got a high 2:1 in first year and did no prep beforehand, and don’t know anyone who did either.

Structure of exams it should say on SOAS’ website for the LLB. Imagine a problem question/essay depending on the module.

As for notes, I would say 99% of people used laptops for lectures and seminars as they move at such a quick pace and that can be hard to keep up. However, as I imagine most will be online this year, you may be able to pause it/do it in your own time more and writing may work better.

Don’t stress it too much; at the end of the day, first year is the time to get it wrong, make mistakes and find your footing. You’ll be fine
burberry_butter
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Arisapo)
Honestly, don’t worry about prereading or getting ahead with modules. It’s a completely new subject and you’ll just end up confusing yourself; they’ll teach you from scratch anyway so that’s worth noting. I got a high 2:1 in first year and did no prep beforehand, and don’t know anyone who did either.

Structure of exams it should say on SOAS’ website for the LLB. Imagine a problem question/essay depending on the module.

As for notes, I would say 99% of people used laptops for lectures and seminars as they move at such a quick pace and that can be hard to keep up. However, as I imagine most will be online this year, you may be able to pause it/do it in your own time more and writing may work better.

Don’t stress it too much; at the end of the day, first year is the time to get it wrong, make mistakes and find your footing. You’ll be fine
Thank you so much! How did you make notes for revision vs for class? Did you type notes for class and for revision as well? Where your revision notes handwritten? In what format do you revise for law? I know from previous work in A levels that learning all the details of a particular subject doesn't work and that essay plans work better. What would you say is the format for law exams? Do you think revising all the details is key?
Arisapo
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by burberry_butter)
Thank you so much! How did you make notes for revision vs for class? Did you type notes for class and for revision as well? Where your revision notes handwritten? In what format do you revise for law? I know from previous work in A levels that learning all the details of a particular subject doesn't work and that essay plans work better. What would you say is the format for law exams? Do you think revising all the details is key?
Not sure what you mean by format. The format of exams will vary from uni to uni, but the big majority will be essays and problem questions.

Did all my notes on the computer and used Quizlet a lot for revision.

Don’t stress it so much. You haven’t even started yet and in the first few weeks they’ll explain these things and you’ll find what suits you best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
28.91%
It went fairly well (239)
47.33%
It didn't go too well (77)
15.25%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.51%

Watched Threads