dj_ad_1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am starting uni in sep this year. I have heard unis has a low pass mark i think its around 30% for a pass. My first year has 4 modules with 30 credits achievable in each. I wanted to ask how does the grading system work?
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Every course will be different. Best to look at your specific course details that will tell you.
dj_ad_1
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Every course will be different. Best to look at your specific course details that will tell you.
Ahh thx should the university tell us before we start learning?
Desideri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you pass a module, you get all of the credits. The credits tell you how big a module is, not how well you've done in it. Most degrees require 120 credits a year. You're doing this through 4x 30 credit modules, but someone else could do 8x 15 credit modules, which would be (in theory) the same amount of work.

Most British unis use this grading system:
Less than 40% = fail
40% = 3rd
50% = 2.2
60% = 2.1
70% = 1st
Your uni's grade system (also called 'classifications') should be on its website. You'll probably also have some kind of introductory lecture about it when you arrive.
dj_ad_1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Desideri)
If you pass a module, you get all of the credits. The credits tell you how big a module is, not how well you've done in it. Most degrees require 120 credits a year. You're doing this through 4x 30 credit modules, but someone else could do 8x 15 credit modules, which would be (in theory) the same amount of work.

Less than 40% = fail
40% = 3rd
50% = 2.2
60% = 2.1
70% = 1st
Your uni's grade system (also called 'classifications') should be on its website. You'll probably also have some kind of introductory lecture about it when you arrive.
Ahh thanks when you say 40% is it 40% of 120 credits? So basically 48 credits in the whole year?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Desideri)

Less than 40% = fail
40% = 3rd
50% = 2.2
60% = 2.1
70% = 1st
this and you generally need to:
- pass all core modules in each year (40%+, or 30% if that's what your uni says although that would be weird)
- average a pass mark (30/40%, again) for the whole year (the mean of each module grade)
Desideri
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dj_ad_1)
Ahh thanks when you say 40% is it 40% of 120 credits? So basically 48 credits in the whole year?
No. Credits are how big the module is (how much time it's expected to take up). If you pass a module you've completed 30 credits. It doesn't matter what grade you got in the module, you've completed 30 credits.

To pass a module, you need to get at least 40% in the assessment(s) for that module, e.g. essays, exams, lab reports. Different modules will have different types and numbers of assessment.

To pass your degree, you will need an average grade of at least 40%
Rguise9191
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m averaging at 50% for the whole course will I be 2:2? Or 2:1?
Will I still get a degree honours?
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rguise9191)
I’m averaging at 50% for the whole course will I be 2:2? Or 2:1?
Will I still get a degree honours?
It would depend on the full calculation for your degree classification.

A full result of 50% would be a 2:2, under would be a 3rd.
Rguise9191
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
It would depend on the full calculation for your degree classification.

A full result of 50% would be a 2:2, under would be a 3rd.
Is it all years it’s calculated from foundation year, year 1, year 2 and year 3?
Rguise9191
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it all years it’s calculated from foundation year, year 1, year 2 and year 3?
Do they take the grades from all 6 modules in 1 year or the best 5?
Desideri
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need to look at your uni’s regulations as different places do it differently. Most unis don’t include foundation year or year 1 in the final classification.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have a look at how your course calculates the classification. It differs between universities and courses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (41)
15.89%
I'm not sure (8)
3.1%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (93)
36.05%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.55%
I'm not a current university student (112)
43.41%

Watched Threads