Should I listen to my gut feeling?

Watch
lilycgbcd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey everyone, so I’m really struggling at the moment because I just have a really bad gut feeling that going to a new sixth form and doing A levels is going to be awful. In the space of 1 week I have changed my mind 4 different times about whether I should go to college or sixth form, and I have finally settled on sixth form. I had a really good feeling about college, although I wasn’t really 100% into the course and did want to do A levels. In the space of 2 days I have found a sixth form, applied and am set to go there in a week. But for some reason I really feel it’s going to be a bad choice, my parent say they think that ‘everything happens for a reason’ and that maybe there was a reason I just found a sixth form in 2 days and am starting there in a week, but I just feel so anxious and worried like I’ve messed up on something. I can’t really change my mind now, what do you guys think? Am I just being too anxious or should I really listen to my gut feeling? Thank you🥺
hope22.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
sounds like my overthinking self *hand over face*
I mean if you only want to do the academic a-levels and not any arTsY hands-on subject (like art, media etc) then I don't think sixth form is a bad choice. Why do you feel it's going to be bad? Is it worrying a-levels will be hard or the sixth form environment? Also, you don't necessarily need to choose between college or sixth form there are sixth form colleges ᵏᶦⁿᵈ ᵒᶠ ᵗʰᵉ ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᵇᵒᵗʰ ʷᵒʳˡᵈˢˀ
I know it's not ideal but even if you do end up hating it, it's not the end, you can change, I know a couple of people did it's not that unusual! I'd say in the end everything falls into place if you decided the course at the college wasn't 100% for you then that college wasn't for you. If you do want the college environment you can try and find a sixth form college, but since the year is starting soon I'd say stick with the sixth form if you like the a-levels you're doing there and keep an open mind on the first days!
lilycgbcd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by hope22.)
sounds like my overthinking self *hand over face*
I mean if you only want to do the academic a-levels and not any arTsY hands-on subject (like art, media etc) then I don't think sixth form is a bad choice. Why do you feel it's going to be bad? Is it worrying a-levels will be hard or the sixth form environment? Also, you don't necessarily need to choose between college or sixth form there are sixth form colleges ᵏᶦⁿᵈ ᵒᶠ ᵗʰᵉ ᵇᵉˢᵗ ᵒᶠ ᵇᵒᵗʰ ʷᵒʳˡᵈˢˀ
I know it's not ideal but even if you do end up hating it, it's not the end, you can change, I know a couple of people did it's not that unusual! I'd say in the end everything falls into place if you decided the course at the college wasn't 100% for you then that college wasn't for you. If you do want the college environment you can try and find a sixth form college, but since the year is starting soon I'd say stick with the sixth form if you like the a-levels you're doing there and keep an open mind on the first days!
Thank you so much for replying! Unfortunately I don’t live near any sixth form colleges, I think I’m just worried I’ll struggle with A levels and I’ll have a similar experience to secondary school (fake friends, bullying, being left out etc) I’m actually okay about the sixth form environment, seeing as I enjoy the structure of the days! That’s actually a good plan to have, if I don’t like sixth form I could move to college then! ☺️ Thank you!
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Is there a reason you think its a bad choice?
Like you said theres not much you can do now other than make the most of it. I bet you'll be fine, anxiety is normal.
josephina1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I found sixth form really hard, like making friends and everything- but now I’m in Year 13 I don’t regret taking A Levels as ultimately it gives you better opportunities in later life. School is hard, but once you get through it you can do so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads