What topics come up in A level Physics?

Watch
student4765
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi
I would like to ask what topics from GCSE or new ones come up the most and are most significant and hard in A level physics.
Thanks I really appreciate it
Bazookatron21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by student4765)
Hi
I would like to ask what topics from GCSE or new ones come up the most and are most significant and hard in A level physics.
Hi,
I did the AQA syllubus but all of them should be pretty similar. Mechanics was the biggest and for most ppl hardest topic in Physics. This is like forces and moments. Things like newtons laws of motion, energy transfers(kinetic, elastic...) momentum, moments and a lot of calculations using trig (just GCSE level maths nothing that difficult).
You'll learn all of it from scratch but it's definitely helpful to know the GCSE stuff. You'll be given a formula sheet and this time u won't have to memorise a lot of equations.

The rest gets easier but A-level Physics is just a continuation of GCSEs. Theres things like waves would probably be second hardest (but I found it really easy) which was transverse and longitudinal waves but in more detail and then there's radiation and atomic particles just like GCSEs but in much more detail. So I think the main thing is Mechanics. If you do maths the same topic will come up. Mechanics is usually the first topic most schools start with for Physics but for maths it comes in later on. So you can have a look at that as that's what caught me off guard as well. Especially 'moments', that was confusing for everyone at first. Hope this helped, any more questions just ask😁
Koopsjnr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi
I did OCR physics and i found quantum physics the toughest as it’s your first look into theoretical physics. I can be tough to wrap your head around but can be interesting too.
lou67
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In A2 AQA physics, you learn about circular motion, fields e.g. gravitational, electric and magnetic. Thermal physics, more about specific heat capacity, latent heat, thermodynamics and nuclear physics.
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi
I did aqa and in first year the topic that required a lot more understanding was the statics topic where you learn about moments and resolving forces because you essentially need a toolkit of skills you can use and u need to know when to use each skill.

Other than that, getting your head around phase difference may take some time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed