Steve1206
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I know that Econ HL is considered an easier subject in IB, despite the scores which one would be much more important in the future? Learning a second language or economics?
Last edited by Steve1206; 4 weeks ago
amberidescence
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Steve1206)
I know that Econ HL is considered an easier subject in IB, despite the scores which one would be much more important in the future? Learning a second language or economics?
Without a doubt, Econ will serve you far better, unless you want to pursue a career specific to the languages. In terms of difficulty, it depends on your proficiency in the language; if you're a native speaker you'll find language B HL easy, but if not you might find it challenging.

IB HL Economics is almost identical to SL Economics plus a very easy Maths paper.
zoe-steph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do both (French B HL & Economics HL). It really depends on what you're looking to study. For example, I'm interested in studying Sociology, and requirements usually include at least one humanity subject: Which could be either Economics OR French. If I wanted to do Sociology with French at university, I would definitely have to have both subjects.

Personally, unless you really need Economics (as in you want to study economics or finance or law, anything like that) I feel like having a foreign language is in incredibly important qualification in today's world. It gives you a big advantage when it comes to jobs, it proves that you're thinking about the world and multiculturalism / globalisation, etc. No matter what subject you're hoping to study in the future, you'll be able to 'show off' your foreign language subject in things like your personal statement or in interviews. It's really useful. In comparison, Economics, especially at IB level, could be exchanged with History or Business Studies or Geography, and it wouldn't really change too much about your application.

Having said that, it is probably easier to get a higher grade in Econ than it is in Lan B HL. So it would help to take a look at some uni courses and see what subjects they recommend, or require, for an application.
Steve1206
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you everyone!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (0)
0%
No (3)
100%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed