The Student Room Group

Not sure what career to pursue?!!!!!

Okay I have always been interested in law and my whole family knows this and supports me strongly. However my GCSE grades are mainly 4/5s and with my A levels I’m predicted AAB.

What is making me change my mind is the options i picked for my a levels ( I picked what I loved and not traditional subjects) I picked
MEDIA
LAW
BUSINESS

I feel like I’ll easily succeed in business as a career as I don’t put much effort into that subject yet still get high grades. But in my law a level I am struggling and falling behind yet putting soooo much effort.

I always wanted to be a marketing executive personally aswell but my family may be upset that I have always wanted to do law for 4 years and last minute I change to business 😭
Law careers are competitive and usually need high grades... I would recommend a business career as it is a respectable career and you do earn a fair amount of money!
@Peachy Milk, found your sister.
Reply 3
Original post by strawberrymilk_
Okay I have always been interested in law and my whole family knows this and supports me strongly. However my GCSE grades are mainly 4/5s and with my A levels I’m predicted AAB.

What is making me change my mind is the options i picked for my a levels ( I picked what I loved and not traditional subjects) I picked
MEDIA
LAW
BUSINESS

I feel like I’ll easily succeed in business as a career as I don’t put much effort into that subject yet still get high grades. But in my law a level I am struggling and falling behind yet putting soooo much effort.

I always wanted to be a marketing executive personally aswell but my family may be upset that I have always wanted to do law for 4 years and last minute I change to business 😭

law is an oversaturated market and unless ur very passionate about law and are willing to put in the extra effort and gain work experience
Original post by trapking
@Peachy Milk, found your sister.

haha you're so funny:biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
OP bare in mind most people who choose law at university dont even become a lawyer, lots go into teaching, business. finance etc. Unless you are really passionate and ready to work hard yeah go for it! But business and fiance like mentioned before is JUST as good/ respectable as an occupation.

MEDIA
LAW
BUSINESS

I always wanted to be a marketing executive personally aswell but my family may be upset that I have always wanted to do law for 4 years and last minute I change to business

Ok I wouldn’t recommend going into law with those grades. Getting into law school is only the start of the process - the most competitive part is finding a training contract whist your at law school. People apply for 100-200 training contracts and may only succeed in securing 1 or 2 of those... the competition is insane and very much on a global level. For this reason, any reason that firms have to reject you, they will take. Less than Amaxing a levels and GCSEs will really make life very difficult for you. You dont want to be in the position of having student debt from a law degree, but no training contract and therefore no job at the end of it.

I think business sounds like a better choice for you, but remember the world of business has very little to do with the A level. If you have good people and nedtionation skills and are a confident public speaker then I recommend that you pursue business instead - definitely much less academically rigorous (not easier, just a different skill set) but this may suit you far more than a career in law.

Hope this helps :smile:

So many people bizarrely want to do law. They have grand illusions of strutting up and down the High Court shouting "Objection my Lord!!". The reality of law is that either you work for a large corporate entity doing work akin to writing those user agreements that everyone signs without reading, or you end up working for a no-win-no-fee accident type affair. And unless you know someone who works in a law firm who can fix you a job, the chances of getting a job are slim. Not that you shouldn't pursue law, but know what you are getting into first.

For ideas about careers based on skill sets and preferences, have a go at this website

https://www.startprofile.com/

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest