a level physics question -a uniform ladder

Watch this thread
o_reo
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A uniform ladder AB of m=20.0kg rests in equilibrium. A is in contact with a smooth vertical wall and B is in contact with a rough horizontal floor. The ladder lies in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall and makes an acute angle α=25.0
to the horizontal. A horizontal force P=400N is applied to the ladder in a direction away from and perpendicular to the wall. This force acts at the point one quarter of the way up the ladder.

question
Find, in terms of P, m and alpha,α, the magnitude of the normal reaction force at A, N subscrpit A

and calculate its value.

What I have done:
I have drawn the diagram but don't know how to get Na
tande33
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
If its in equilibrium, there will be no resultant force in the vertical or horizontal direction, and there should be no turning effect, so sum of the anti-clockwise moments are equal to the sum of clockwise moments. Hopefully that helps a bit.
o_reo
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by tande33)
If its in equilibrium, there will be no resultant force in the vertical or horizontal direction, and there should be no turning effect, so sum of the anti-clockwise moments are equal to the sum of clockwise moments. Hopefully that helps a bit.
should I take moments about point B?
Even then im not sure how to do that as the forces are all at different angles
tande33
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by m.s124)
should I take moments about point B?
Even then im not sure how to do that as the forces are all at different angles
Yes that sounds good, you will need to find the components of the force perpendicular to the ladder, are you familiar with how to do this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (69)
40.83%
They're exactly what I expected (40)
23.67%